Even 45 Colt brass is impossible to find.

Schofield brass will work in .45 Colt chambers. But you can't crimp it with .45 Colt dies. You will need a separate die to crimp it, one made or altered just for that purpose.

The standard loading dies in .45 Colt are not made "dual purpose" like the .38/357 or the .44Spl/.44 Magnum.

.45 Schofield came back from the dead a while ago, for the cowboy action shooting market. Its not as widely available as .45 Colt, and wasn't in the same demand, so right now, you might find some but its a dice roll.
And if you want to shoot really powder puff loads through a .45 six gun, there's also a non-historical cartridge called .45 Cowboy Special. It's a rimmed case that's the same length as .45 ACP (shorter than .45 Schofield), and is loaded using .45 ACP dies. It allows a very light powder charge with less concern about the powder shifting around in the case. Unfortunately, it's not in stock at Starline at the moment:

https://www.starlinebrass.com/45-cowboy-special/

And if you want to shoot really powder puff loads through a .45 six gun, there's also a non-historical cartridge called .45 Cowboy Special. It's a rimmed case that's the same length as .45 ACP (shorter than .45 Schofield), and is loaded using .45 ACP dies. It allows a very light powder charge with less concern about the powder shifting around in the case. Unfortunately, it's not in stock at Starline at the moment:

Also, unfortunately, not gonna work in the lever gun that the OP mentions.

Don

I'm in Tulsa and we've got the Wanamaker show coming up. I might peruse the offerings there. Guns and brass.

Wanamaker cancelled the show because of covid.

However, I got an email from Starline that my 45 ACP and 9mm brass has been shipped.

Guess I'll wait on the 45 Colt project.

Thanks for all the responses.

I was at a Cabela's yesterday, and the only brass they had was .454 Casull, .460 S&W, and .500 S&W; wouldn't think they'd sell much of that in the best of times.

...Nor in the worst of times, apparently. Just not a lot of people shooting them enough to wear out their brass, I would guess.

Back