Ethics of hunting for fun

Perhaps for some reason cute fluffy bunnies are somewhat more important than smelly fish?

Smelly fish?

Evidently you have not smelled the inside of a fluffy bunny.....

Teh insides of a cornfed steer are pretty rank, too ........

The thing is, when I see a dead deer I just killed, I dont see a dead animal: I see a soon to be filled freezer....... I also see a lot of work immediately ahead ...... but it is good, honest, rewarding work, wherein the rewards of good performance are immedately apparent, so I enjoy it.

^^^ Far as smell goes...would rather clean 100 rabbits or fish then one gut shot deer or a gobbler that's been feeding all morning. ;)

Probably the most stinkin thing I ever dressed was an opossum. Made the mistake of doing a favor and shooting one for a co-worker. Plain NASTY!

Probably the most stinkin thing I ever dressed was an opossum.

FWIW, I would. not. touch. an. opposum. Not even with a stick.

One fine Firearm Deer Season Opener I passed a freshly run over skunk by the side of the road, at about 4AM ....... he was not there the evening before ..... I hunted all day ... which was unseasonably warm ...... and went back to camp the same way, passing the deceased skunk about an hour after dark ...... and saw the back half of a small oppossum sticking out of the dead skunk, the which was moving around quite a bit as the nasty little bugger was chowing down from the inside ...... ewwwwwww.

Up in Wyoming over Independence Day at our family reunion, my Dad's High School pal that owns the lodge we stayed at asked if I brought a 22 with me. We had been talking guns, hunting etc and had a good time showing and discussing several different guns we had with us. Well, of course I brought a 22 - a 1906 Winchester pump.

Turns out the groundhogs, gophers, prairie dogs and ground squirrels had been making a mess of his ditches, pastures and garden and he wanted some lead-based pest control. He told me "I can't see the da$% sights anymore, if you don't mind, would you get rid of as many of those varmints as you can?" I was all too happy to oblige.

NOW. I think I speak for the vast majority when I say I jumped at the chance to hunt varmints not out of a joy of killing, but out of a chance to test my skills. I was happy to help out my Dad's friend, of course, but where better could I practice my stalking, target acquisition, hold, trigger control etc than on a live target?

It was a great hunt, dispatched about 30 critters in an hour. Could have gotten more if I had had more time but I hope it helped. Did I dispatch them humanely? Yes, as best I could. Did I feel bad about the one or two I had to shoot twice? Of course.

"While many folks out there try and justify their hunting because of the meat they bring home, most times the meat is just a bonus. The cost of gas, licenses, ammo, guns/bows, gear, lease fees etc., makes most game meat pricier than quality store bought."

The sticking point here is "quality store bought". I've gone through a few donnybooks with peple over this but in discussing it with hree different doctors who are in agreement with me, even one who it totally vegan.

Quality store bought? There ain't no such animal. Not after it's been fed chemicals to make it gain weigth, antibiotics
to insure it does not get sick and God only knows what else. That cow elk I took early this year may have been very expensive meat but it was not filled with the crap they use at the feed lots.
Look at the obesity problem in this country. Look at eleven year old gitls growing breasts and having periods. What for how come is this happening? Could it be all those female hormones fed to the animals that become the meat they eat? And how about all the antibiotic resistant germs that seem to be evolving? Could the antibiotic laden food given to livestock at the feedlots potentially be the cause? Even the First lady, and God know what I think of her has asled the FDA to look into those two subjects and if she can see a problem, why in the hell don't WE THE PEOPLE? :mad:
So yes, my wife and I eat extremely expensive meat. I hunt it. I kill it and I eat it. Last of all, I enjoy the whole process from preperation, to the stalk to the kill, gutting, cutting wapping freezing thawinf and cooking and eating that very expensivemeat. To paraphrase a beauty product commercial," My wife and I are worth it."
Paul B.

Quality store bought? There ain't no such animal. Not after it's been fed chemicals to make it gain weigth, antibiotics
to insure it does not get sick and God only knows what else. That cow elk I took early this year may have been very expensive meat but it was not filled with the crap they use at the feed lots.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that wild animals are not contaminated with chemicals and other nasties they are ingesting in the wild. At least meat bought has to be of a certain standard and is tested fit for human consumption. The problem with obesity is eating to much more than type of food.

Although, how do you know the quality of the deer you shot out in the field, either? I'm not trying to be judgmental or anything, as I honestly have no experience with game in any fashion. However, unless you tracked this deer from birth and monitored its food intake and livelihood, how can you make anything more than an educated guess based on it "looking" overall in decent shape? Who knows what crap it scrounged in the field for survival? I'd expect that a lot of slaughterhouse animals "look" decent, too.

I guess you do skip the processing step and preservation "treatments", which aren't exactly the best thing for consumers.

Rikakiah, you should do some research on where and how your store bought meat gets there. I very much agree with Paul b, however, he keeps referring to cow elk as very expensive, everytime i've added up the hunting license, tag cost, ammo, and gas and food for the trip (we'll leave the rifle out of it), elk is way cheaper than beef. I've even got a connection for all natural grass fed lamb I get a whole or half, every year (at $3 a lb I'm happy to pay it)

Originally posted by shortwave:

The flip side to buck460XVR's post is if I grab my rifle and go out for no other enjoyment other then taking that life and nothing about the hunt but looking at that dead animal I just killed gives me a sense of great euphoria then I may have a problem , shouldn't lie to myself about it and should probably seek some professional help.

The title of the thread is "Ethics of HUNTING for fun". Not "Ethics of KILLING for fun". Comes down to comprehending the written word.

Just say it plain and simple !!!

The title of the thread is "Ethics of HUNTING for fun".
This is true and perhaps it's a language thing but in this case, it is English and I take what he says, in the body, at face value. .... :confused:

I've been wondering about the ethics of shooting things for then fun of it.

I am fluent in American English and to me, I find this statement slightly troubling. I have asked the OP to be more specific as to what what he means. So far, he has ignored my inquires. Have no option but to suspect his agenda and point of departure. ..... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Thank you buck460 for interpreting what the OP meant for us dummies ...as he did not respond when asked and comprehension of the English language weren't never my strong suit.:p

Also, would politely ask you to read through this thread you will understand the reasoning behind many of the posts, including mine, referring to thoughts about just killing an animal for the sake of killing it.

Feelings about killing during hunting, feelings of killing for pests control and feelings of killing for the sake of killing has all been brought up throughout the whole thread.

To answer a few of your questions in your earlier post:

Does your pulse not quicken and your breath get short when a large buck walks out in front of you..... or a Tom gobbles off high in a tree only a hundred yards away in the darkness of morning twilight?

Yes.

Do you ALWAYS feel disgust when you pull the trigger out of sadness of the kill?

No, not disgust. But been hunting for 45yrs and have never felt elated when I'm standing over a life I just took. No matter if it's a doe for the freezer or a monster buck, a jake or a bird with a 13" beard. If that feeling of respect for wildlife ever leaves me I'll quit hunting.

Do you have to be prodded and complain long and loudly when you get off the couch and grab a rifle?

Yes, sometimes. Especially when it takes a long time to straighten my back out in the morning.

Is the only form of adrenaline you feel when you hunt is the saliva in your mouth from the expected meal you may have afterwards?
Hope you don't mind. I assume you meant to put 'is' in there.

No. The adrenaline I feel is being thankful the good Lord blessed me with the strength to get out and enjoy what he has created for us to enjoy. When eating those tenderloins I thank Him for what he has blessed me with.

Cut a bunch of slack on the semantics, okay? Words aren't always used the same way by different folks. Grew up with different dictionaries or usages.

I can say, "Killing Bambi's fun!" or I can say, "I derive pleasure from a successful exercise in my skill with a rifle and the knowledge of good food on the table." But I'm lazy: "Killing Bambi's fun." :D Besides, that second phrasing would have my friends looking at me all slaunchwise.

Unfortunately there is no guarantee that wild animals are not contaminated with chemicals and other nasties they are ingesting in the wild.

I get to see them on the hoof ...... and decid to take them or not.

I have seen "downer" cows dragged to market.

I hear auction anouncements on the radio for "x head of brokemouth cows".

Do you know if any of the the ground beef you ate today came from some of this type of animal?

As for "Government Inspected" .... I don't trust the government: it's largely made of people I don't know, and have no influence upon.

Who do I trust? Some faceless functionary of a bloated organization that can't balance it's own checkbook, or my own eyes?

Oftentimes, I don't have a choice in the matter ...... but when I do, I'll take may chances with wild game I had a hand in the selection, taking and processing of .......

The biggest thing: if Bambi Inthe Woods IS sick (CWD, EHD, automobile kinetic trauma, whatever) it will be apparent, if I take the time to look. BT,DTW (Been There, Done That Wrong).

^^^ Too, when field dressing, inspecting main organs for abnormalities is just part of the process. Look for tumors and smell for rancid odors.

I used to hunt quite a bit. Now, I only put holes in paper.

I was over at Bass Pro a while back and they were running a video of coyote killing. It just did not sit well with me.

I know I have changed over the years. I hope for the better.

I have not killed a living thing ( other than bugs ) in almost 30 years. I am ok with it.

My beloved sport of "hog doggin" is one I have done many times just to be out there doing it...

I have been on "catch and release" hunts which is often done just for the dogs sake... While other times we see it as a way to catch a sho-nuff warrior "bo' hawg" just for the pics then to turn him loose hoping we got the dogs put up in the right spots and people up the righht strong tree---

Quite the rush for the most part...

Brent

Back