Erratic G19 Extraction

ks_wayward_son

I'm sure this has been probably covered in the past, but maybe there have been some troubleshooting strategies that have become more available over time. I have had my Glock 19 Gen 4 for quite some time, but haven't shot it a whole lot. It has a little less than 1000 rounds through it...maybe 750 or so I'm guessing. I mostly have put steel cased wolf/tula through it with anemic extraction at best with cases all over the place and some brass to the dome. I thought that maybe some better ammo would help because that's what Glocks are designed for, or so I've heard. This afternoon I put 90 rounds, 6 mags, of Winchester NATO 124 grain through it (as others have said, great ammo.) Better, more robust extraction, yet I was disconcerted when I still had 2 cases to the dome, and still erratic ejection to a degree.

I can confirm that I have the upgraded parts mentioned from many years back (recoil spring/guide rod and extractor). I know there are aftermarket extractors out there that are also supposed to help, and I'm really wanting to keep the 19 if at all possible. Have a bunch of mags for it plus invested in some I-dot sights on it. I have heard great things about the Sig P320 compact and was thinking about going that route instead, but there is so much support for the Glocks (mags and stuff), and I've heard the Sig mags are about twice the price of the Glocks. Potentially send it in to Glock to take a look at it? What have you guys done if you've had this issue? Thanks.

I have a Gen 2 G19 with thousands and thousands of rounds through the gun. Almost all the ammo has been brass, very little steel. I have had the gun around 20 years and it is all original. Never changed a part. So far I have had zero problems. It throws the brass a good consistence distanced. If you modified the gun change it back. If that doesn't work send it to Glock.

"Upgraded parts" -- Aside from the sights, have you made any parts changes? Or are the "upgraded parts" simply the correct factory parts? (I seem to remember some questions years ago about getting some factory parts put in that would solve the brass to face problem.) If you've changed anything (putting in non-factory parts), change it back and run some "standard" (brass cased, 124 grain, standard pressure) ammo through it. There are a great many threads on the internet about various Glock shortcomings, when the shortcomings only appeared after someone modified their Glock. If these are factory parts, I'd call Glock.

And FWIW, I totally get it about being heavily invested in a Glock. I have a G19 that I consider trading from time to time. Then I think about the fact that I have 3 holsters, a mag pouch, ~10 magazines, etc., etc., etc....

During my first few thousand rounds I'd catch an occasional piece of brass to the forehead so I started wearing a hat while I shot. The "problem" went away after about 2k

I believe that the OP means that he has the most recent Gen4 changes to the ejector and RSA. They are updated parts, instead upgraded parts.

My wife’s Gen4 19 does the same thing. Completely sporadic ejection pattern. Up, back and right with no predictability for the direction or distance it will go.

It also has the most recent ejector and RSA variation from Glock. I’ve read the forums. I’ve talked to people that had them, sent them back to Glock and they were returned doing the same thing.

What I found was the Apex ejector seems to solve it for some people, different RSAs do it for others, some had luck with an aftermarket extractor and some have tried all of the aftermarket and factory parts with no change.

The couple of friends I have that are heavily invested in Glocks told me it’s just something some Glocks do and no combinations of parts will correct it. If you have the most recent ejector and RSA, odds are Glock will send it back as it is unless something is off with your extractor.

If it was my 19, I’d just live with it. It’s a bit annoying but it has never interfered with my ability to use or the reliability of it. It has caused issues for her and spooked her confidence in it with how the brass would come back at her. She chose to do a private sale (with disclosure), will be getting back most of what spent on it and is moving to a 43x.

Why did you upgrade parts? Did you have the same issues with the original parts or ???

Upgraded parts" -- Aside from the sights, have you made any parts changes? Or are the "upgraded parts" simply the correct factory parts? (I seem to remember some questions years ago about getting some factory parts put in that would solve the brass to face problem.) If you've changed anything (putting in non-factory parts), change it back and run some "standard" (brass cased, 124 grain, standard pressure) ammo through it. There are a great many threads on the internet about various Glock shortcomings, when the shortcomings only appeared after someone modified their Glock. If these are factory parts, I'd call Glock.

IIRC, it is a known problem with the gen4 Glocks. Putting it back to stock isn't going to fix anything. I will admit that I am most definitely not a Glock fanboy, but I do carry a gen3 G19 every day. I'm not sure what the fix, if any, that Glock came up with for the gen4 ejection issues. I know that I am glad I stuck with my gen3 as it has been 100% reliable with any ammo I have run through it.

Wolf steel case ammo giving you erratic extraction? Could it be the ammo? Hmmm. Tell us how it performs with normal brass cased ammunition.

Yeah, that is what I meant when I said "upgraded"...actually updated part. I have read many have had good results with replacing the 30274 ejector with the newest Gen 5 47021, which is a part of the 47208 housing. Also, I will probably replace the loaded chamber indicator bearing with the non-loaded chamber bearing, which would hopefully increase spring tension a bit with stronger extraction. Less than 20 bucks for all the parts, worth a try hopefully. If that wont work, I'll probably just either live with it or trade it for something else. Might be cool to try something from Sig or maybe Walther. I will see.

"...steel cased..." That'd be the most likely culprit. Especially as the Winchester is fine. However, weak extraction is more about the load than any part. Which is also why the first answer to this question is nearly always, "Change ammo".
9mm NATO is considered to be +P by SAAMI. It's running at 1200 FPS MV vs 1150 for the Wolf stuff. That 50 FPS matters in some pistols.

First thing I would do is clean the chamber and bbl, make sure to get the chamber clean. I don't shoot any steel in my G19 or any other gun I own. The paint (or whatever coating they put on it) on the steel case ammo can foul the chamber. So far not one malfunction with my G19 Gen 5. Shot Rem, Win White and cheap Rem ammo as well as hand loads. If the trigger didn't eat my finger it would be a good shooter.

I'm a 1911 guy but have recently assembled two 9mm Glocks (G17, G34) using Gen 3 Poly80 kits. These things have driven me crazy trying to cure their extraction/ejection problems. 1911s are easy to tune for ejection. These Tupperware poodle shooters are a royal pain.

Here are the mods that finally fixed the problem of hot brass to the face:

Using all three of these cured the spastic ejection problem.

One other thing I did was to throw away the Glock recoil spring assemblies and replace them with Wolff guide rods so I could match the recoil spring strength to the ammo. I drilled a hole through the guide rods at the front so I could use a small punch to wind new springs onto the rod. This really isn't necessary but sure makes changing springs a snap. Here's a video showing how it works. The Wolff guide rod works with Wolff springs but the White Sound guide rod does not.

I'm sure this has been probably covered in the past, but maybe there have been some troubleshooting strategies that have become more available over time. I have had my Glock 19 Gen 4 for quite some time, but haven't shot it a whole lot. It has a little less than 1000 rounds through it...maybe 750 or so I'm guessing. I mostly have put steel cased wolf/tula through it with anemic extraction at best with cases all over the place and some brass to the dome. I thought that maybe some better ammo would help because that's what Glocks are designed for, or so I've heard. This afternoon I put 90 rounds, 6 mags, of Winchester NATO 124 grain through it (as others have said, great ammo.) Better, more robust extraction, yet I was disconcerted when I still had 2 cases to the dome, and still erratic ejection to a degree.

I can confirm that I have the upgraded parts mentioned from many years back (recoil spring/guide rod and extractor). I know there are aftermarket extractors out there that are also supposed to help, and I'm really wanting to keep the 19 if at all possible. Have a bunch of mags for it plus invested in some I-dot sights on it. I have heard great things about the Sig P320 compact and was thinking about going that route instead, but there is so much support for the Glocks (mags and stuff), and I've heard the Sig mags are about twice the price of the Glocks. Potentially send it in to Glock to take a look at it? What have you guys done if you've had this issue? Thanks.

Apex Failure Resistant Extractor assembly would help.

Also, make sure you have the latest Ejector assembly in the pistol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any fixes for a 45acp glock 30? My reloads have to be at absolute max loads so I don't get BTF constantly. I still get nailed periodically . At a slight step down in the powder charge and the brass comes straight back a lot. I can't find much in aftermarket parts or online fixes. Help.

In the entire time I’ve had my G 19 gen4 never had this problem. And the only rounds I’ve been putting through it for a while have been steel-case; probably more than 4,000 rounds by now. Is this a common issue? My gun is factory stock. Probably about 4 years old/

Yeah, its been pretty well documented that many people have had this issue, going back to when the Gen 4s first came out. Like someone had said here before, the btf, erratic ejection plagues some firearms but not others. May seem completely random. I posted the same question over at ar15.com and if you do a search on their site lots of people posted about the same issue, and different ways they were trying to correct it (i.e. changing ejectors, extractors, the non-loaded vs loaded chamber bearing indicators). Figured I would ask the same question on different sites to get as many possible solutions.

People had speculated potential issues may have been the dual recoil spring that was also utilized in the 40 cals. Hardly any issues from the 40s.
Additionally, the fact that Glock changed the extractor angles and began manufacturing them utilizing MIM procedures instead of solid bar stock like the first few gens. Not only were the Gen 4's having trouble, but people were having troubles with late manufactured Gen 3s too.

At first I was pretty optimistic when the Winchester Natos were cycling well and then 2 consecutive cases thumped me between the eyes. Figured, cool...it was only an ammo issue. *thunk, thunk*. Oh wait.....:rolleyes:

Considering extractors some have said Suarez Extreme Reliability also worked well.

All of this is not meant to be a knock against Glock, just trying to get mine running.

Limp-wristing can induce this too.
Folks, I really don't mean to step on anyone's tender toes but I have to throw a flag on this.

Any pistol used for serious social purposes should be 100% reliable no matter how you hold it. I test every pistol that crosses my bench by holding it in my weak hand as loosely as I possibly can without dropping it and with my elbow bent at 90 degrees and emptying a fully loaded magazine. If there is a single failure-to-lock-open on an empty mag it's back to bench we go. Often the problem is solved by swapping out springs for lighter ones.

My wife is no pipsqueak in terms of hand and arm strength. She shot IDPA matches with me for a number of years using 5" 1911s. She runs ironman triathlons for fun and can knock out 60 "man" pushups on demand. However, she's 5'5" on a good day and doesn't have enough body mass to provide enough resistance to the pistol to allow the slide to move rearward as fast as it does for me. She was getting hot 9mm brass bouncing off her head from her G19.

The solution was to replace the Glock recoil spring assembly with a Wolff guide rod and a Wolff 12lb recoil spring. It now runs like a scalded dog for her.

So, limp wristing is really nothing more than a mismatch between the pistol and the shooting conditions. Fix the pistol. Match the springs to the shooter.

Here's a video that's been around forever that may give you some food for thought:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsewsolPyBU

I don’t think MIM is the issue. My Gen 5s have MIM extractors and are noticeably better than my later mode Gen 3s or the Gen 4s I owned. I also have Gen 3s that are from before the MIM extractors and they’ll do it occasionally too (Randy Lee from APEX Tactical has an article out there about how this has been a noted part of Glocks for some time, though again he does sell a product to supposedly fix it). The later Gen 3s were noticeably worse in terms of BTF, though I found the 30274 ejector helped in that case. It’s sort of funny that the latest Gen 5 ejector looks very similar to the 336 ejector from the Gen 3, when the 336 ejector was called problematic for the later Gen 3s.

Starting with the G45 and the G19 MOS for the Gen 5, Glock has added a cut to the left of the breach face. The case rim fits in this and the cut almost functions as a second extractor. This holds the case much tighter to the breach face and means the ejector is hit much more consistently. The difference in ejection as compared to my other Glocks is nuts, whether Gen 3 or even earlier Gen 5. I used to get BTF a couple times in a hundred rounds. It hasn’t happened now in thousands of rounds and the brass goes ~10 feet to my 3 o’clock. It’s like a different pistol in that regard.

A lot of the different fixes are pretty cheap, as you know. As you also mentioned one fix will work for someone and not for someone else. For instance, while I found the APEX extractors to improve the arc of the spent cases I also found it made the pistol much more susceptible to limp wrist malfunctions. I never saw a difference from the different spring bearings or LCI versus non-LCI extractor. I was lucky in that an ejector swap got me to a good enough place, especially if I used warmer ammo (as you noted). Honestly the only “fix” I ever found was the newer Gen 5 slides with the cut I mentioned. If you have the patience try the different fixes and see if you find a working combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back