Erick Cortina, Precision loading simplified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If not, the best marksman can lose because the arms he's issued may not shoot the issued ammo most accurate.

A few years back there was a show called "Top Shots" where they claimed to be looking for the "best shot" and all the contestants were good shots, one could say they were marksmen.

However the way the show was down there was less marksmanship and more "luck" involved than anything else.

The guns were supplied, as was the ammo. Each shooter got a few shots to familiarize themselves with the gun, but were NOT allowed to adjust sights or otherwise sight in the guns for themselves.

So, literally, the shot going where the sights were aimed was a matter of luck of the draw. Close was common but being right on was not something you could count on, and right on for one shooter could easily be just a bit off for the next. Targets were mostly reactive, lot of fun watching them break but also seeing shooter just barely miss the bottle due to lack of being able to sight in the gun for themselves just put the lie to "marksmanship" being a factor, in my view.

That was an entertaining show. But I was not a fan of they way they chose people for elimination until the last season. Also I really did not like the way then went in cold to a lot of the challenges and were given a gun to shoot that they were not familiar with, or had not had a chance to really shoot and understand that individual gun.

Shadow is right

Mirriam- Webster

a person skilled in shooting at a mark or target

small 5 and even 10 shot groups have a huge luck factor look at all the benchrest records that were set by people you never heard of 5, 10 20 and 30 years back that have never been broken

I am about to go off on a 280 AI long range quest. I have never shot more than 100-200 yards.

I have been watching Erik's videos for awhile now. Before I buy dies I want to know what his process is. I know he talks about just buying Lapua brass, but besides that. I have seen him use a universal decapping die and not a neck sizer or expander ball type. He uses a an FL sizing die to bump the shoulders back. Also it looks as though he uses like an LE Wilson chamber seating die with a hydro press so he can measure seat pressure.

Is this what you're seeing?

This discussion is getting very far afield. This is the Reloading discussion area. The post that opened this discussion wasn't about firearms or marksmanship or which type of competition is the most difficult -- it was about a system (or maybe a philosophy) of reloading. Let's get back to the topic and quit squabbling over matters that belong in other discussion areas.

What I have discovered is that the best thing I can do to improve accuracy of one of my rifles is to pillar-bed it with a floated barrel.

Ever seen somebody bed a Savage Accu-stock

rsat.jpg

yi6w.jpg

mwl4.jpg

k5yi.jpg

Now you have haha , the rifle showed no improvement in accuracy so I popped the bedding back out .

For those trying to bed your action for the first time . A trick you might want to try is use model clay as a test/dry run . This will give you an idea how much material to use and where it gets pushed to .

4udr.jpg

I am about to go off on a 280 AI long range quest. I have never shot more than 100-200 yards.

I have been watching Erik's videos for awhile now. Before I buy dies I want to know what his process is. I know he talks about just buying Lapua brass, but besides that. I have seen him use a universal decapping die and not a neck sizer or expander ball type. He uses a an FL sizing die to bump the shoulders back. Also it looks as though he uses like an LE Wilson chamber seating die with a hydro press so he can measure seat pressure.

Is this what you're seeing?
He says do not neck size. Only and always full length. Based on his talk with speedy another shooter I suspect he is using a lyman s bushing die. But I am not 100% on that.

Yes that seems correct on the rest of it

I would also add he states he anneals the necks every time, and likes berger bullets, but also seems to have lapua bullets as well, but that may be due to his sponsorship by them.

I think with all the topic drift from Cortina's loading method to pretty much anything that affects accuracy and including things that really belong in the gun smithing forum, this one has run its course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back