ER Shaw Barrels?

Mississippi, it works pretty well. Savage does it to lower their production costs; they do not do it to build a better rifle. I have my fair share of Savage rifles. When they get rebarreled, the nut gets tossed in the trash.

The Savage bolt only "floats" on one axis.

While I won't argue that it might eliminate the problem in one direction, it does nothing if looked at 90 degrees out.
:rolleyes:

In my opinion, it's just a cost-cutting measure.

Mississippi, it works pretty well. Savage does it to lower their production costs; they do not do it to build a better rifle. I have my fair share of Savage rifles. When they get rebarreled, the nut gets tossed in the trash.

I think you are extrapolating from a group of one to all.

Most shooters that work on the Savage themselves do use the nut.

Savage lowered their production costs as much as they could so they could put out an accurate rifle. Call it how you want, its a benefit in off the shelf and its certainly a benefit for people who do their own barrels.

Team Savage is very competitive with their factory rifles.

First they are not Tubbs or Salazare.

Secondly, most of us are not either!

The floating bolt head is not as good as a blueprinted, but again its better than 99.9% can shoot.

No question that Salazare would beat my butt with my equipment when I was using his, with one hand behind his back.

No question that Salazare would beat my butt with my equipment when I was using his, with one hand behind his back.

RC20, very good point.
I've said it over and over, it's not the arrow it's the indian.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter

Went with Shilen

I want to thank you all for the great feedback. Every product seems to have a niche. Looks like ER Shaw Barrels appeals to the budget rifle, or truck gun, or rugged condition rifle...or at least that is what I would put it on. .Kind of like my 870 wing master shotgun, which gets beat around and abused but is my primary hunting shotgun. But I also have a very nice Beretta I shoot trap with.

I decided to go with a 28" shilen stainless match grade barrel...S8 (bull ) contour for my .300 win mag. The lead time is 2 months and I can't wait to try it.

In the end I just figured the extra $200 was worth it for a guaranteed barrel and made to the specifics I wanted

Thanks guys....This is a good fourm.

Mississippi,

No, you can't go much wrong with a Shilen barrel. Shilen is the one that showed Bergara how to do things.

I have heard some grumbling about winning matches and such with a Shaw barrel. It's been done, and so has Hart, Pac-Nor, Bertlien, and almost every other barrel manufacturer out there.
It's the whole "any given day" thing.

Are your odds better with the Shilen? Maybe...

I'll keep my extra $200 and load more ammo for more trigger time.

But that's just me.

RC20, I thought the nuts were wonderful as well. Then I decided to build one without the nut. No going back.:eek: Build your next Savage nutless and see if you do not pick up just a tick of accuracy.;)

Shilen makes exceptional barrels and I really hope that you get the accuracy you're looking for. Even Shilen, however, will not offer service if the rifle shoots 1/3moa and not 1/8th.

Looks like ER Shaw Barrels appeals to the budget rifle, or truck gun, or rugged condition rifle

Wouldn't quite lump ER Shaw in that category. I only have one barrel from ER Shaw, but it was a solid 1/2 moa shooter. 10 years ago on this forum a 1/2 moa (all day every day) rifle would be a gold standard to anyone but a bench shooter.

At any rate, you made the right decision for the accuracy you seek. While I wouldn't give ER Shaw quite "truck gun" status, they aren't widely used in the world of people who shoot .125" groups at 100 yards.

5whisky:

I realize 1/8 MOA is demanding. I can live with 0.25" at 100 yards or even 0.33" at 100 yards.
I am a hand loader, with my .300 wm I bump the shoulder back only 3 thousandths and usually jump about .010. I trickle each charge and a slew of other things to try and wring everything I can out of a gun.......Oh and I actually practice shooting ALOT..... Mostly doping rounds, and desperately trying to get better at wind calling. ( I threw a couple 8 point shots in a shoot in December due to swirling winds )

But I set the bar high because if I set the bar at 1/2 moa, then it's likely 1/2 moa is exactly what I will achieve.

And I'm also not trying to be insulting by saying truck gun or truck rifle....A truck rifle is reliable, plenty accurate, and durable. It's just that, you arnt going to put a $2500 rifle behind the seat to bounce around when a Ruger American rifle (Which I have one of) will do just fine at a cost of $400 and if it gets scratched, or a ding, you arnt going to cry provided it still functions as usual.

I guess that's fair enough, I understand your explanation. I hope the Shilen does well for you. I agree that you made the right choice, and there is a much better chance of you being satisfied with a Shilen than something less... and most everyone can agree that Shaw makes decent barrels, but Shilen they aren't.

Back