Equipping an army

Rob, that kinda coincides w/ what i heard. that they were too much sugar for a nickel.

------------------
fiat justitia

Pete,

Since looking at your profile told me very little about where you're coming from with your question, a search of all your posts sorta filled in the blanks. So here's my opinion, which may only be worth the price paid.

Problem Defined:
As earlier alluded to in the "SITREP" posts, an Army is outfitted based on the most probable type of warfare as predicated by risk analysis and the conditions under which the warfare operations would most likely be conducted. HOWEVER, one person, or even a group of folks don't make an army. I've inferred from your collective posts that you're actually interested in the "best" value of a paramilitary rifle which fits your budget, for the purpose of rounding out your "insurance policies" against catastrophic mayhem.

Recommendations:
The ideal battery of weapons, in my very humble opinion and rather limited experience, is: a highly reliable semi-auto .22lr rifle (e.g Rem Nylon 66, Ruger 10/22); a pump shotgun (base models by REM, WIN, ITHACA, Browning or Mossberg to name a few) in 20ga or 12ga; a reliable scoped rifle of intermediate power (e.g. .243Win, .308win or ballistic equivalents) which could be bolt, lever, pump, or semi-auto actions; and a pistol capable of providing a definitive defensive capability out to 7 yards.

Rationale:
All of the long guns provide recreational practice and a means of provisioning the meat locker when used for appropriate game at reasonable distances. The shotgun and centerfire rifle provide a potential defensive capability commensurate with their respective effective employment ranges. The pistol should be the last line of defense (short of knife, club, or other personal contact). However, in the ever burgeoning social morass surrounding us, social constraints may preclude the ready availability of the long guns such that a concealed handgun defaults to the first tool of armed defense (your mind being the actual first line of defense). Hence the practical focus on the comparative portability, concealability and reliability (applicable to both mechanical and mortality) of the various handguns. I have a personal preference for both pistols and revolvers in .45acp, 10mm and .44SPL, but that is merely my opinion, YMMV.

Hope this helps your "preparation". If you've additional issues which you'd like to discuss in depth, email me.

Regards,
Mykl

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited June 12, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited June 14, 1999).]

Gentlemen:

Sorry to barge in here, but that Sheperd scope sounds like just the gimmick me dad was looking for to top his Belgian FAL. Could someone post or E-mail me some info such as a short description of its capabilities? What features does it have? Range finder? Suitable for long range (400+ yds) big game hunting? Price? Availability?

Thanks in advance

The Sheperd scope is the one with multiple circles on the reticle, they are used for rangfinding and adjusting for range. They are lik glorified Mil Dots.

Then first weapon you have to have is a well trained, motivated, and publicly supported trooper. Then, whether he or she has M1A2 main battle tanks or M9 bayonets, they will prevail at the level of combat in which they are engaged. Not every soldier is an 'Expert.' Some need M16A2 or AK74s in 3 round burst, and some need 'long lances.' Choose accordingly.
Remember, no multi-million dollar (or kopek) fighter, stealth bomber, or guided missle will ever hold key terrain.

Train like you fight- second place is not an option.

Back