EPIC FAILS in amateur gunsmithing

.how do you remove the extractor from a mosin bolt?

As the old saying goes, "very carefully".
Often, there's old cosmoline stuck in there- so that needs to be checked first by GENTLY trying to pry the extractor away from the bolthead a tiny bit. If needed, I soak the bolthead in BrakeKleen.

I then set it along the edge of the bench (extractor hanging off the edge) and gently drive it out with a flat punch.

Ever check the angle on the extractor or some other angles cut on a Russian? It is some weird what I call "Metric angle" like some stuff on a Mauser. Just in case you ever get the urge to mill a broken one out with a dovetail cutter.

I once tried to work on a barrel using a file and a 25 year old Shopsmith MK V as a lathe. I'm not sure what the run out was when it was manufactured, but it was atrocious 25 years later. Probably lucky I didn't end up with a barrel sticking out of my chest.

Long before I took any armorer or gunsmithing class, my buddy and I tried to remove a front sight off an 03A3 Springfield. Didn't have a workbench and vise. My buddy had it on his lap and held it with his hands. I had a hammer and a punch. Whack, whack, whack with a hammer. Then we noticed there was a screw that had to be removed first. :D

okay. got it done. put a dab of permanent loc-tite after making some index marks. everything lined up perfect, inside and out.

can finally put this one away for awhile. i can't think of anything else i could possibly do to the poor thing, unrecognizeable as a mosin nagant anymore. happy to be finished with it, very excited to shoot it, hopefully thursday.

Amateur Gunsmithing

I stopped by my buddy Sky's shop looking for a pair of rings for my old Sears Model 50.
Him and one of the gun shop hangarounds were looking at a very pretty little Winchester Hi-Wall, in fact as i think about it it may have been a low wall.....at any rate.........It had been re-chambered to .223!

Sky said it came in on trade and the former owner knew nothing about guns. Perhaps a good thing, at least they didn't try to shoot it.

Skizzums,

I just noticed that tool post in one of the pictures- craziest thing I've ever seen.
Looks like you just stacked up bits (and probably a shim or two in that pile somewhere) to get to center. Is that the way that was intended to work, or is that a "jury rig"?

In your post #6 though, it looks like a standard toolpost is on there.

If there's a QC toolpost out there somewhere to fit that, it'll make you life a lot easier...

Back