Enfield No.4, MKI help?

**edit, sorry. It was made By Savage Arms in Chicopee MA as a No4 Mk1* The lined out "flaming bomb" (U.S. Ordinance acceptance proof) & square "S" are Savage makers markings. end edit**

It went to England as part of the Lease/Lend agreement with the United States & the defaced markings on the receiver top once read "U.S. PROPERTY". It was later upgraded some time in 1951 to No4 Mk2 specs & re-labeled as a No4 Mk1/3 to denote the upgrade & rebuild. The FTR (Britspeak for total rebuild) was done at Fazakerly near Liverpool, England which is the "(F) FTR" stamp as the Brits called a full rebuild a "Factory thorough repair.

For some reason the front wood was nor replaced with the Mk2 style cross bolt, but the left side tie plate was removed, that's the "D" shaped raggedy hole just in front of the wrist. You might want to look into that as the bolt is needed to stop the rear wood getting damaged.

Last edited:
It was made By Savage Arms in Chicopee MA as a No4 Mk1. That is slightly rarer then the later No4 Mk1*

If you take a closer look at the lined out ID on the body, it actually started life as a No. 4 Mk 1*. Also the fact that it is relabeled as a "No4 M1/3" identifies it as originally being a No. 4 Mk 1*. When No 4s were upgraded to No. 4 Mk 2 standards after WWII they were relabeled as follows: All No. 4 Mk1 became No. 4 Mk 1/2; All No. 4 Mk 1* became No. 4 Mk 1/3.

The "C" in the serial number is indicative of manufacture at Chicopee Falls, Mass by Savage Arms, who made close to 1,500,000 rifles for Great Britain.

The "United States Property" has been obliterated for some unknown reason, most likely by some entity that was not friendly towards the U.S.

My mistake, sorry! I was looking at the bolt head release on the set of pics from DennisCA & got the 2 rifles confused.:o

You're right that is a No4 Mk1* converted to a MK2 equivalent.

Last edited:
That is not the bolt you need & it won't fit the stock anyway, sorry.

The MK1's had a strap passing across the rear of the wood & riveted into both sides. When the trigger was moved to an add-on part for the Mk2 conversion (1/3 in your case) the arrangement no longer worked because the hanger for the trigger was in the same place. What was doe instead was the rear of the stock was divided, passing on both sides of the hanger & a long thin bolt was used to clamp the split rear to the hanger.

You need to replace the modified Mk1 stock with a Mk 2 stock, or cut the dovetail & use washers & bolts to duplicate the function.

How does the bolt number match, if it's the incorrect bolt?

Sorry 'bout the questions...Guess I just need to spend some time on the net and get familiar with these variations.

Thanks.

So given the incorrect stock, is this a "pass"...or, if "correct" stocks are available, should I make an (discounted) offer- or keep looking?

Like I said- the bore, looked brand new...so I wouldn't expect headspace/throat erosion issues.

You can find Mk2 stocks, they are about on e-bay & so on. However they may need a bit of custom fitting to mate to the action safely & accurately. If everything else is GTG then I'd make a reduced counter offer by the price going for a No4 Mk2 stock.

Back