Enfield 1917 Eddystone

RC20 said:
If the barrel is marked 4-17, then there is a major discrepancy on the barrel vs the receiver.
No... my bad as I thought I stated earlier, the barrel IS marked 4-18, as per the pic I just posted. Sorry about the mis-post.

As noted /edited during the previous post - 30-06, right mfg, right barrel and not a 303.

Tags from a shop are to be questioned as they don't know.

OK RC20... thank you... I now believe I do possess a 1917 Eddystone in 30-06, made in 4-18. I love this forum!!

You are welcome

What did you gauge it with?

Added: Actually the receiver was made 3-XX-2018 so it would be listed as 3-18.

That does make sense as I seldom (not sure if ever) see a barrel date in the same month as the receiver.

Barrels ebb an flow as well as receiver made a non exact alignment and did not make any difference other than annoying of the receivers were behind (or barrels ahead) , still had all those other parts that had to be there as well. The receiver/barrel combo the hardest to make and only ones that had dates (bolt next)

Last edited:
RC20 said:
What did you gauge it with?
All I did so far was put a 30-06 in the chamber and closed the bolt successfully. I figured it can't be a .303 Brit chamber or the round wouldn't go all the way in. I am STILL going back to the GS and have him look at it, and make sure.

They will not have a clue.

Dimension wise I don't think you can chamber a 06 in a 303 chamber anyway .

Put the bullet into the barrel end and see what the fit is.

A 303 is actually .310 - .312 bullet diameter. It will swallow the 308 bullet.

I doubt a 303 would even start to chamber in an 06, rim and extractor (and the same for a 303 except the other way, your file matches up as a normal 30-06. Vastly larger o the the rim

It clearly is a 30-06 bolt and 99.999999999% clearly a 30-06 (the tiniest doubt is some really wild stuff needed that is so far fetched as to be impossible but not 100% - this is the real world)

Yours has the US ordinance mark on the front of the barrel and if you remove the rear hand guard you will see that same symbol on the top of the barrel back by the receiver.

Last edited:
A 303 is actually .310 - .312 bullet diameter. It will swallow the 308 bullet.

I beg to differ.

30 cal, as in 30-06, has bore (land) diameter of 0.300", and bullet (groove) diameter of 0.308". 303 British has bore diameter of 0.303" and bullet diameter of 0.311". A 303 bore will most certainly not swallow a 308 bullet.

A bullet on muzzle is just a quick, hand waving, kind of test. Better one is a chamber cast. A smith should be able to do that for a small fee. It would be money well spent in this case. It will definitely identify the caliber of the rifle, and the condition of the throat and rifling.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Technically that is right, reality is a 303 will take a 308 bullet very deep if not all the way, I just realized I can check that on a Russian gun, will let you know.

Back