Embarrassed to ask…

smurfsdad

Inactive
Hate to ask this question but…
I have a Beretta Pico and a Kahr CM9, both semi automatics, both double action. I’m carrying my gun loaded with a round in the chamber. I get home and want to put my gun away. I drop the magazine, rack the slide to eject the remaining round,…then what? Do I have to point the gun in a safe direction and pull the trigger? Or not?

Please don’t beat me up over this question.

Good question.

After you have looked and also felt to make sure there is not a round in the chamber you can either just put the gun in the safe or point in a safe direction and pull the trigger.

You don't have to. If you want to pull the trigger and you want to be extra, extra safe, maybe look into building a clearing barrel in your garage. A foot of sand in a 5 gallon bucket would be plenty to stop a 9mm.

Hate to ask this question but…
I have a Beretta Pico and a Kahr CM9, both semi automatics, both double action. I’m carrying my gun loaded with a round in the chamber. I get home and want to put my gun away. I drop the magazine, rack the slide to eject the remaining round,…then what? Do I have to point the gun in a safe direction and pull the trigger? Or not?

Please don’t beat me up over this question.
What Jar said.

And hey, kudos to you for asking!

Nobody is gonna beat you up for it in here.

No, you don't have to. Drop the mag, rack the slide, lock the slide open. visually inspect the mag well and chamber and make sure both are empty, good to go. If you wanted to pull the trigger and drop the hammer get a 5gal bucket and fill it with sand for a safety barrel.

If it is an option for you to leave your pistol in the holster and take off and secure the holstered pistol, might consider that. That has become my norm for a few of my pistols.

With both of the handguns you mentioned the hammer is cocked and released when you pull the trigger.

Unlike many other striker and semi DA handguns the firing pin is not under tension and so there is no need to pull the trigger to remove tension on the firing pin normally or when field stripping.

Thank you to all who replied, I appreciate your help. One of the reasons I ask is because it's not recommended to dry fire the Pico. Again, thanks folks.

There is no need to pull the trigger . You will not be putting away a cocked pistol , the firing pin will not be under tension .
The double action mechanism of both models , when pulled through , cock the hammer and fire the gun just like a double action revolver ... so no need to pull the trigger before putting it away ... hard to explain but think of them as operating like a double action revolver .
But keep an eye on that top cartridge you keep loading and unloading ...if the bullet starts taking a set back , from hitting the loading ramp over and over ...shoot it and use a fresh one for the top round .
Gary

Thank you to all who replied, I appreciate your help. One of the reasons I ask is because it's not recommended to dry fire the Pico. Again, thanks folks.
There is a history of some firing pins breaking in a Pico when they are dry fired without using a 'snap-cap'. I have a Pico and so far I've had no issues but I always use a snap-cap.

You will not be putting away a cocked pistol , the firing pin will not be under tension. The double action mechanism of both models , when pulled through , cock the hammer and fire the gun just like a double action revolver
With both of the handguns you mentioned the hammer is cocked and released when you pull the trigger.
Ahh.... to set the record straight, the Kahr CM9 is a striker fire, and doesn't have a hammer. And after racking, i.e. to eject a round, the striker is indeed under tension. According to what I have found, more than 50 percent under tension.

It feels like a DAO because the trigger has a cam that pushes the striker further back into full tension and the cam pivots past the striker tab and the striker goes forward.
When a round goes off, or by cyling by hand as in ejecting a live round, the trigger is reset and the slide partially cocks the striker again.

But really, I've never seen a need to release the striker from any tension. Even though I see Hickok45 do it all the time. I alwys wonder, why did he do that?

It's asking for another possiblility of a ND for something as minor as a 7.00 striker spring.

I always leave my carry gun loaded because I might need it. No good in the safe. Wouldn’t if I had kids around though.

If it is an option for you to leave your pistol in the holster and take off and secure the holstered pistol, might consider that. That has become my norm for a few of my pistols.

Same here for me

First of all Congrats on two great firearms. You do not need to pull the trigger after checking the gun thoroughly as posted above. You are right about the Pico, I would get you some snap caps for future use. I heard they break often on the internet when I first purchased one and bought extra pins, but after thousands of rounds still have the original firing pins installed, but I do not dry fire the gun but occasionally. By the way, if you do have to replace one, it is very simple to do
You posted a great question and please if you have any more questions, just ask..

It's my opinion that the more you manipulate the firearm by loading, unloading etc the more chance for something bad to happen. All my carry guns are DA, I load the mag, chamber a round then they stay in that condition (in a holster) until I use it for practice, change ammo or something. No kids around most of the time but when they do it's easy enough to secure in 'ready status' vs removing the ammo and/or mag. Just my .02

I’d leave them loaded ready to go. If you have children around I’d just secure them in a bio safe and keep it handy for safe but easy access.

IMHO, there is no good reason to unload a carry gun every day. The manipulation is inherently less safe than not manipulating the pistol. Simply place the firearm, holster included, in your safe.

Multiple reloading of a round may cause the bullet to be pushed into the case and possible deformation of the bullet. Load it once and leave it alone until you shoot it in practice.

The Pico is a DAO and therefore no reason what so ever to dryfire when unloaded.

The Kahr has a pre-loaded striker which you may release by dryfiring or leave alone. No "need" to dryfire but no harm in doing so either.

I'm in the "leave it loaded and ready to fire" camp.

My chambered EDC gets put onto the side table next to where I sit. Then into a pocket. Repeat.

If you're securing it to protect from others in the home, then leave it loaded in a secure location.

Back