ELG Double barrel stainless steel shotgun

You'll have to do better than that!
Good pictures, at least.
I can tell you this-it's not stainless steel! And ELG tell us that it's Belgian, not French.

Its a gun.

With your "description," that is about all we can tell you.

Any other markings on it?

How about some good clear photos?

ELG Shotgun

If I type over ten words it logs me just spent twenty to describe gun. I hit send and was logged out???

ELG Shotgun

John I not sure what it is but it is very bright. It has French writing on it says (officially tested for smokeless power) choke bored and Cockerill Steel. Thanks Keejo

ELG Shotgun

Ok! Thanks JIM so how do I find out who made this gun. What do I look for and the date the gun was manufactured. ?

Pretty much, you don't; unless there is something on it besides a proof mark that has been used for well over a hundred years and the brand of steel the barrels are made out of.

Cockerill was Belgian, the equivalent of the German Krupp; a gun made from Cockerill steel was almost certainly Belgian made, and the E L G (Liege) proof confirms that.

Jim

ELG Shotgun

Took some pics take a look and let me know if this helps. Thanks Keejo

Attachments

• DSC_0427.JPG
    DSC_0427.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 93
  • DSC_0464.JPG
    DSC_0464.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0422.JPG
    DSC_0422.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 79
Made sometime between 1898 and 1924 based on proof mark combinations.
What is the faint stamp just above the (Lion)/PV? If a single letter, even a Greek letter, it might be a date stamp.

There is nothing there to ID a maker.

It is a nice one, though; not the usual shabby wreck posted on the net.
Although it has steel barrels and smokeless proof, the chambers are 65mm long, about 2 9/16" not the modern US standard of 2 3/4". There are 2 1/2" shells available for old and foreign guns.

It is definitely Belgian; it is 12 gauge, but for 2 1/2" shells, not the common American 2 3/4" shells. The PV indicates proof with semi-smokeless powder, but the gun appears not to have been proved with smokeless powder, so caution should be used in firing it. Based on the general design, it probably dates to around 1900, but that is not certain.

It appears to be blued, not plated, but my eyes may be deceiving me. It also looks to be well made. I see nothing to indicate a maker, but such guns were often the product of a consortium of makers (one company made stocks, one barrels, etc.) so no maker's name was put on. If there is a marking on the rib, a picture of it might help in gaining further information.

Jim

ELG Shotgun

Thanks men that helps. It looks to be a 20 ga. with one mod and one open cylinders. We thought it might be nickel coated.

ELG Shotgun

I forgot to say the barrels are 24 inches long. There is something over the Lion/PV , I will look at that this morning. Thanks Keejo

Last edited:
Why do you say it "looks to be a 20 ga" when it is marked 12 gauge? The (diamond) 12 C means 12 gauge with choke.

24" barrels are awful short for a gun of that era. They may have been cut off and no choke left.

Back