Elbows bent or elbows locked. Which and why?

His elbows are slightly bent downward, too.
It relieves pressure on them quite a bit.
Most helpful with damaged ones.
Just a little unsolicited advice.

I've never held a gun that allowed any sort of natural grip if my arms are locked out; my shoulders are just about touching my ears.
I know some people, the kind who shoot tens of thousands of rounds a year, who believe that locking your elbows leads to joint problems, since the recoil is coming back through the joint, rather than the joint bending - which is what joints are for - to absorb the recoil.
I shot Weaver in my youth - the salient feature is not the bent weak-side elbow per se, but thrusting the weak-side shoulder forward, which results in a bent elbow - but quickly changed to "modern" isosceles, or "flexed" isosceles, as demonstrated by The Great One, above.
If the grip and stance are "neutral", the gun will track straight up and drop straight back down without having to fight it.

When I say locked out, that's opposed to shooting loose. In my pictures it is just slightly unlocked but the tee shirt hides that. Yea, a full on locked lockout would be hard

I tried "locking" my elbows and found it much much better than bent elbows. I also tried completely locking my elbows, and it was impossible to pull the trigger without jerking the gun.

I won't hijack the thread but +1 for Mr. Borlands revolver grip. I happened to shoot on a squad with one of the top revolver shooters in the nation three days ago. (Meaning he has competed with and on a few rare occasions bested Miculek.) He had the same grip as MrBorland except he placed his index finger of the support hand around the front of the trigger guard of the revolver. In other words, it's an accepted and effective revolver grip.

As to elbows, thinking on it a little more I think the best analogy to the elbow stance would be about the same as how you hold your knees when standing at attention for military inspection, etc. Knees aren't over extended and locked, but they are fully extended and strong and firm. Same with the elbows in a handgun stance.

I guess mine are slightly bent. not really noticeably, but they are definitely not "locked". I tried that [locked elbows] and it seemed to be more work than necessary. post #19 looks about right for me.

What ever works for you . I don't shoot 2 handed till over 10 yds. Way I was taught in late 50's and early 60's Close up I will draw and point shoot. I don't do shooting games so I don't pay much attention to the style .

Remember this a lot of really bad guys fell to Police ,Boarder Patrol, FBI, for a lot of years Before Cooper and weaver started pushing the 2 hand style In gun mags and to LEO's

Jack Weaver was winning quick-draw competitions with two-handed, sighted fire when everyone else was point-shooting from the hip.
You don't/won't always have two hands available, so shooting one-handed is a valuable skill, no question.

Elbow locked, arm rotates at shoulder and gun come back over your head. Elbow not locked, arm hinges back at the elbow, and gun moves towards your face.

Some guns I suppose you could do either way, but first time you try bent elbows it with a .454 Casull you will likely lose your teeth and have a notched forehead.

we are talking about pistol recoil. I was taught that since the recoil is not significant, you leave the elbows bent a little bit. so your arms and shoulders handle the recoil

works for me

If I can, I lock my arms like you described. Sometimes I shoot one handed and stand with my arm at a 90 degree angle to my body. Some people describe this as limp wrist shooting. In a semi bad form and willcause a jam. Since I don't own a semi, I don't worry about that. Both are comfortable for me.

Back