EL Paso Saddlery your thought

Howdy

I have been very pleased with the holsters I got from El Paso. I had these Slim Jims made up for a couple of original S&W Top Breaks. Lined and with floral carving. Even though I ordered the holsters about a year apart, when they showed up they were almost identical. Workmanship was top notch, and they fit fine. Which is pretty amazing because I really doubt if they had an original New Model Number Three, or 2nd Model Russian to use for the patterns.

NewModel3andHolster.jpg

NewModel3inHolster.jpg

russianandholster_zps15b0faaf.jpg

russianinholster_zpsed2d478e.jpg

Unload gun.
Place gun in plastic bag.
Insert bagged gun into holster.
Allow to sit over night.
Recheck fit the next day

You are missing the key ingredient.

Unload gun.
Place gun in plastic bag.
Insert bagged gun into holster.
wet the holster, just damp not sopping
Allow to sit over night.
Recheck fit the next day

Just run the holster briefly under the tap. Don't soak it. Be sure the plastic bag is really well sealed so the gun does not get wet. As the leather dries it will stretch to conform to the bagged gun.

P.S. if you want a holster that releases the gun easily, always get it lined.

I was going to order a holster from El-Paso Saddlery but now I'm having second thoughts.

I think it may be best to go to the saddlery that built 3 custom saddles for me.
I know the owner has retired from saddle making but he's still doing saddle repair and small jobs, so maybe I can talk him into making me a holster.

I recall a fellow I knew who was into quick draw, he said he used paraffin to slick up the inside of his holsters.

I am not happy with the holster I have cheaper holsters that seem to be better .

Is this thread just to whine and try to take down El Paso Saddlery for your pound of flesh? If the gun goes in okay, trust me there are time tested methods to get it to come back out properly. Just cool your jets and wait to try the Draw-Eze or whatever similar product you ordered.

Areas I have had the most trouble with are around the sharp edges of the face of the cylinder and at the frame corner ahead of the trigger. Actual grip on the gun often occurs at the trigger guard, the tip of the barrel, or the front sights. Slick those areas to make them freer and to protect the gun finish and then ram the gun in there several times. That's in addition to the other advice about wetting and wrapping the gun as a mold. I have never needed to go that far, given the Draw-Eze.

I was going to order a holster from El-Paso Saddlery but now I'm having second thoughts.

Don't let this thread stray you from EPS they make a great product, some of mine are years old, one is a year or so old both of the same quality.
I'd think it a shoulder holster you would want it snug.

REAL GUN Is this thread just to whine (no)

It is to ask and maybe see if someone has a fix . I have tried most of the stuff I knew to do .

I finally made it out to EPS back in the late '80s after my grandfather told me several times about them, touting their work and telling me of the big people who have purchased from them. He was active hunter and gun enthusiast all of his life, and he new a lot of people with the same interests. Since then, I've purchased at least 4 holsters and a Ranger belt from them. They do good work but..............I'm sure they are past their glory days. Not telling people not to use them, but I think there are other leather shops out there of equal or better quality and customer service.

..............I'm sure they are past their glory days. Not telling people not to use them, but I think there are other leather shops out there of equal or better quality and customer service.

Is that just speculation?

Is there any chance that the holster was made for the smaller frame flat top (.357 or 44 special) Blackhawk instead of the large frame Blackhawk?

I have four EPS holsters, I'm happy with the quality and fit of all of them and I'll probably get another one. For anyone who orders from EPS, be patient and sign up for UPS My Choice so you get a shipping notice.

Sorry to here about your trouble. They can be hard to get a hold of. Email has worked best for me.
I have lost count the number of holsters I have purchased from them over the years. I've only had a quality issue once and Don turned it around in two weeks. The quality has remained the same over at least the past ten years.
Ten weeks was the longest I ever had to wait and I was even living in Santa Teresa! For the record I always opt for lined.

LeverGunFan This is the smaller Flat Top Blackhawk . I did not not have the holster lined maybe a mistake and the inside is ruff as hell . I bought some stuff from Galco and will see if that helps .

Just under two years ago, I bought a Smith and Wesson 686+ Pro Series--five inch barrel, tapered under lug, slab sided barrel. I wanted a holster.

I called El Paso Saddlery, and spoke to a man named Miguel. He recommended the Tom Threepersons holster. Those who do not know about Mr. Threepersons should do some reading.

The five inch Pro Series is non standard, so I had some concerns, but Miguel assured me that I would be satisfied.

I most certainly was--and am.

I am a very satisfied customer.

This is the smaller Flat Top Blackhawk . I did not not have the holster lined maybe a mistake and the inside is ruff as hell . I bought some stuff from Galco and will see if that helps .

Keybear did you ask for it not to be lined? All of mine came standard lined?

I ordered a shoulder holster (the Harding) for my Ruger Blackhawk 4.5 barrel from EL Paso Saddlery in Oct last year .

I just looked that up and now realize what you are talking about. The "Hardin" shoulder rig is listed as "lining standard" at $195.00 It is also shown with a tie down, which mitigates the need to grip the holster in order to withdraw the gun.

Real Gun It has a Tie Down but it does not Tie the Holster down but ties the shoulder part so it stays on the shoulder . It also does not have a Lining I wish it did .

As you can see the holster has a very short tie down on the bottom of the holster( about 6 inches) it would need to be 16 inches long to reach my belt . Then it would make it hard to bend side to side . It looks like it was never meant to tie to the belt . The gun does stay tight to body but the bottom of the holster is 10 inches or more above my belt .

Hardin%20Holster%20004_zps7f95copj.jpg

Keybear my first thought is you are a very tall person.
I'd email EPS and ask why your holster isn't lined, perhaps a opps on the line and they will make it good. I do like the holster, also the Doc Holiday model. The Harding looks a lot more secure than the Doc Holiday model though, maybe I'll look into the DH model for my Blackhawk.

Back