EL Paso Saddlery your thought

KEYBEAR

I ordered a shoulder holster (the Harding) for my Ruger Blackhawk 4.5 barrel from EL Paso Saddlery in Oct last year . After 3 months I called 3 time finally got the young girl and ask about my holster . A week later I got it not bad looking but not worth the wait or the price . Now I find the holster is so ruff inside the gun is almost impossible to draw with two hands . ( One on the gun the other on the holster .) I have done about everything to make it better so far not any better . I just ordered some stuff that may fix it will see . I will not be buying anymore leather from EL Paso Saddlery .

Call them. They usually do spectacular work and I imagine they'd want to know about this.

I have several of their Threepersons holsters. Fit and finish are perfect, and they've been very durable.

I have bought 2 holsters from them and I thought it was nice leather . They were tight and I had to wrap the guns in a couple layers of wax paper , to stretch them some for a smooth draw . Every holster that I have ever bought , I had to do this .

I have had the Blackhawk in the holster for over two weeks and no difference .
I wrapped it with wax paper also .

I have two El Paso Saddlery holsters. Both are very high quality and fit the intended gun properly. The first one had the proper size belt loops (based on what I specified in my order) and the snaps on the holster were one-way snaps which are very secure.

The second one had belt loops that were far too large for the belt size I specified and the snaps used were standard snaps rather than more secure one-way snaps. They don't specify the type of snaps used in their advertising, so I can't really complain about that, but it was irritating that the belt loops were improperly sized. I contacted them and told them about the belt loops being wrong. The belt-loop portion of the holster could be very easily removed so I figured they would send me the right size belt loop section and/or have me return the wrong one. Instead, they wanted me to send the entire holster back with no mention of them picking up the shipping.

Rather than pay to send the holster back, I figured out how to modify the belt loops myself. The result is not as good as it would be if they had sent me the right belt loop section, but it's good enough and it was a lot cheaper than having to ship it back to them.

The whole situation with the second holster left sort of a bad taste in my mouth.

That said, the holster has held up very well and it's been my primary carry holster for several years so I can't complain too much.

about a decade ago, an internet forum attempted a group buy through the director of El Paso Saddlery. Promises were made but deliveries were not. The situation went on for a year or so. Some people got the holsters they had ordered (pre-paid) and other's never did.

I use Draw-Eze on most of my holsters, including 3-4 from El Paso. I think theirs are top rate, but think the pancake design limits how much forward cant can be provided as well as belt width. I like my Tanker model shoulder rigs very much.

I have an El Paso rig and the quality is top drawer. I ordered a magazine pouch separately and the delivery time was a bit long but it was beautiful.

I think many specialty shops can suffer from long delivery times because they have highly trained employees drift away leaving them shorthanded from time to time.

If the quality is unacceptable then you should not accept the item and return it.

But reading your complaint, remember that new leather should have a snug fit because it will relax some with use. I wonder if a little time and working the gun in and out of the holster will loosen it up a bit?

A lot of the replies speak of the time it takes to break in a holster OK.
But to say in and out of the holster will loosen it up a bit ?
By the time the holster is broken in the gun with need reblued ?
I think the gun fits the holster fine but once in it does not come out very easy . I am not happy with the holster I have cheaper holsters that seem to be better .

I like their products; have two holsters and a belt.

But if I ever ordered from EPS again, I'd check to see if perhaps they
have what I want in stock. If not, forget it.

The EPS work ethic seems to operate on the philosophy that you're honored to order from them so shush up and wait and wait and don't expect us to communicate with you. That may be unfair but it's my impression.

I get the feeling it has become a virtual "ma and pop" operation and they barely have the ability to fill any orders including the basics. SASS, for instance, in stead of being a boon to the company has become a burden.

Wish it wasn't so, but again it's my impression of the company.

A lot of the replies speak of the time it takes to break in a holster OK.
But to say in and out of the holster will loosen it up a bit ?
By the time the holster is broken in the gun with need reblued ?
I think the gun fits the holster fine but once in it does not come out very easy . I am not happy with the holster I have cheaper holsters that seem to be better .

1. Unload gun.
  2. Place gun in plastic bag.
  3. Insert bagged gun into holster.
  4. Allow to sit over night.
  5. Recheck fit the next day.

Put the gun in a plastic bag and wet the holster, just damp not sopping. Leave the gun in it overnight and the holster will mold itself to the gun.

I've bought holsters and belts from El Paso Saddlery for decades and have used them almost exclusively for many years. I have been very pleased with their products in the past but their quality has slipped somewhat in the last few years, and customer service is largely non-existent. You're lucky if you can get someone on the phone and if you do get someone they seem to have an attitude. Emailing them is a waste of time. I was very disappointed with the quality of the last holster I ordered from them. The leather was badly scratched and it was poorly finished with a heavy coat of dye to cover up the defects. It looked like the cow had a bad encounter with a barbed wire fence. I was unsuccessful in getting someone on the phone at the time and my emails went unanswered. I now buy my El Paso products from a distributor at the Dallas Gun Show. That way I can see what I'm getting before laying my money down. That eliminates the chance of getting a bad one. My rating on El Paso Saddlery is about a 3 on a scale of 1 to 10, mostly because of their very poor customer service. If you get a good one you will have a well-made quality holster, beautifully finished, and one that will last a lifetime. Ordering online, sight unseen, is a gamble anymore.

I’m disappointed to hear the negative experiences I had considered ordering from them. I realize anyone can have an occasional problem and that may very well be what happened with the OP. However, it sounds suspiciously like a company that hasn’t managed success very well. Sometimes rapid growth can reveal weaknesses that otherwise went undetected.

Unload gun.
Place gun in plastic bag.
Insert bagged gun into holster.
Allow to sit over night.
Recheck fit the next day

That has been done for a good ten days no benefit Yet .
I started with one Plastic bag now I am up to three .
I did order some Stuff to slicken it up and will see if that helps .

I called EL-Paso six or seven time got an answer two time .
The young girl that answered the phone has to be a grandchild .
She really needs a course in customer service and she sounds like it hurts to talk to a customer .

KEYBEAR,
Sorry to hear that you were not pleased with your new holster. It sounds as if you have done everything possible to resolve the situation, and had no success. The only thing I can suggest and it's a VERY LAST resort kind of deal. Return the holster, contact your credit card issuer and dispute the charges.

Well, um...yes you will wear the finish on a handgun by putting it in a holster. I figured this was a carry piece and not a safe queen. Also I wasn't thinking of putting it in and taking it out thousands of times.

But whatever. You are unhappy and want a cheaper holster. Good luck in making the return. Sounds like they aren't taking phone calls right now which is frustrating. Emailed? I wouldn't be surprised if you could sell it for what you paid on Gunbroker. Somebody may want that leather and not want to wait for EPS to deliver.

I ordered a military style flap holster for my SAA Colt from EPS In The eighties a poor man, and the guy taking the order insisted on the lining on them.

Back