• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Editing problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jbotto

How do you edit posts? I must be missing something, as I cannot see any edit, or advanced option button. Could someone help me?

Edit: Now I see this post has an edit button, but why do some of mine do not? I'd like to edit a earlier post of mine, but it won't let me.

OK, thanks for the quick response. I appreciate it. That's a strange thing I guess, as the other forums I frequent, don't have that setting. Thanks though. I understand it now.

One of the things that TFL has always been, is a resource data base. If we left it open for too long, people could edit/modify posts so much that the resulting threads would not make a lot of sense.

It was thought that 4 days was plenty of time to make any necessary corrections. And for the vast majority of cases, it has.

Good, Bad or Indifferent, that's the way it's been set up.

I think it is a good idea to scroll down, preview post, and then edit post if needed before posting. That is probably the best time to gitterdun IMHO.

A fair number of forum/discussion type sites have recently adopted stricter time limits on editing, in the 5-minute-to-several-hour range.

A fair number of forum/discussion type sites have recently adopted stricter time limits on editing, in the 5-minute-to-several-hour range.
Oh, please, noooo....

I just hate it when I come back the next day to a thread I've posted in, and I find a typo I missed. If I couldn't fix it... I'm way too OCD for that. :o

Don't worry, we have no reason at present to shorten the edit window, but we don't plan to make it longer either.

Hawg:

You should be able to edit your post. I forget the time limit, but it is at least several hours and may be more than a day.

I will edit this one to check functionality.

just tried an immediate edit prior to posting. Click on preview post. Make your changes in the field below your preview, and then click submit reply.

Then click on edit in the lower right corner of your posted reply. Make your changes. Then either click on save changes or click on preview changes and make further edits.

Finally click on save changes.

I just did all of the above and it works.

When the edit link no longer appears on your posted reply, then it is no longer possible. The best you can do is make another post and refer to your previous one. If the thread is lengthy, you might state the number of the post to which you are referring.

Hope this helps.

Eagle Eye

The conventional method for deleting a post on TFL seems to be to cut all of the text, replacing it with "deleted." But you can't make the whole post disappear, as far as I can tell.

The evidence of your presence will linger.... :cool:

Nope, you can't. I've seen some VERY ugly things happen on boards where members can delete their posts.

Only staff can delete posts once they are made.

If you need a post deleted, contact a member of staff.

There you go. Just plug in the word deleted, brain flatulation, or whatever. But do so within the edit period.

My apologies for being inconsiderate, Haggen. I saw your post but completely forgot to reply.

Don't do this procedure. As Mike stated, hollar at one of us and we'll take care of the deletions if deemed necessary.
Fair enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back