EDC accuracy requirements.

I like to think of my 'large' groups as simply training my muscles for hitting a dynamic target that is not standing still as I aim at it. :D

"Demo Dick" Marcinko....

I go by the training standards set by Richard "Demo Dick" Marcinko, www.DickMarcinko.com . He's the retired SEAL officer & author who during his controversial military career started the elite SEAL-06 unit. Marcinko in his non-fiction book: Rogue Warrior stated the "shooters & looters" would need to hit a 3"x5" card at 30' from different angles with either hand. ;)

You may not need to be tier one special ops commando but if you can consistently hit a 3"x5" card at 30 feet, you're doing okay. :D

Clyde

I'm curious, and certainly mean no disrespect - but are people seriously hitting a 3" group with a 4-5" barrel pistol at 25-30 yards (75-90ft)?

My front sights seem to eclipse the target at 30-40 feet...

On a good day, 'yes'.

RIat25.jpg

camsdaddy said:
I am just curious what your personal requirement for EDC accuracy is? I am curious if its 2" @ 25 yards or minute of man @ 3 yards
Something like 95% or 98% of self defense shootings take place at 21 feet or less. My requirement for self defense carry is to be able to place seven shots (my gun's capacity) into center of mass at 21 feet.

For my own personal satisfaction, I expect myself to be able to hold a 6-inch or better group fired hand-held at 25 yards, but that's far better accuracy than required for self-defense carry.

2 inches at 25 yards? Most production handguns today can barely produce consistent 2-inch groups at 25 yards even off a rest, and even that may be heavily dependent on the ammo.

The gun is not the weak link in the accuracy equation. There are very few modern guns that won't clean a 25yd target.

some are better than others

Most production handguns today can barely produce consistent 2-inch groups at 25 yards even off a rest, and even that may be heavily dependent on the ammo.

IME most modern-production handguns seem capable of under 3" @ 25yds. Given good ammo, ay? :rolleyes:

I prefer MY guns be able to exhibit stunning accuracy, because it gives me confidence.

Personally if I can cover 5 rapid fire shots at 7 yards with the palm of my hand that accurate enough for me for a EDC.

I make sure it can be kept between the base of the sternum and collar bones at 21 yards. That is the longest shot inside my home. I figure my edc may be the first gun I can grab in a worst case scenario.

I train at 7 yards and 15 yards with my regular EDC, a Kahr PM9 ... I can hold 3-4 inches at 15, 2-3 at 7 ... I assume I could hit a man-sized target farther out, but if the bad guy is past 15 yards away, I'm running if I can, not shooting ...

Back