EDC accuracy requirements.

camsdaddy

I am just curious what your personal requirement for EDC accuracy is? I am curious if its 2" @ 25 yards or minute of man @ 3 yards

Any gun that isn't accurate past 7yard it's a mouse gun and what I consider as a back up to your sidearm. Assuming we're talking citizen CCW only and not LE. Then your "primary" becomes what usually is a secondary. ie: your CCW firearm.

Which in my eyes should never be just a mouse gun. Smallest I'd consider for self defense would be something the size of a Glock 26 or M&P Shield. Both of which are accurate past 7 yards.

Then again, accuracy depends on the person. So to each their own. Just my $0.02. YMMV

Exactly what Im looking for. I only carry one gun at a time. I also realize that while most encounters will happen within feet. I know that I dont get to choose my situation.

Most pistols are more accurate than the one shooting them. I just don't understand a back-back up to the sidearm as a main mode of protection.

LCP, Diamond back, S&W Bodyguard, etc.

I'm pretty comfortable with a snub 38 most days, but I can keep them on a pie plate out to 25 yards pretty easy with one.

My personal "requirement" for my EDC (I have only one and don't divert from it...) is to practice regularly and do the best I can do with it.

In slow, calm, aimed fire, I can do miles & miles and -MILES- better than any rational defensive shooting could possibly ask for. Of course, there exists no "typical" defense scenario. If I'm in a position to discharge a handgun defensively, I'm guessing that everything is going completely haywire. Distance could be a few feet, not yards. And the target is probably going to be moving and I should hope that I will also be moving. That kind of practice/training is hard to replicate for me, and for most (I'm guessing.)

My hope/plan is that all my varied practice with this particular handgun (4,900+ rounds to this point) will all help me to make shots that save my life.

If someone laid out a cash bet for me to hit a pop can at 25 yards with my EDC and the carry ammo in it, and I could take my time with my one and only shot, I believe I'd take his money. That confidence is what I hope will give me an edge in some wild defensive scenario, but I certainly don't think I'll need to make a shot anything in the world like THAT in a defensive scenario.

I don't have a particular requirement for my EDC except that I feel confident in my ability with it.

Every hand gun I own is capable of more accuracy than I can shoot them,That said some are easier to shoot well than others.
I consider mine accurate enough if I can make head shoots slow fire @25yds
on a IDPA target.

I go for consistent, fist sized 20 round groups at 25 yards on a paper plate. A 3x5 notecard is used to simulate the occular window and I try to get five out of five (breaking the edge is considered a miss). This is conveniently 25 rounds.

I find that my guns are more accurate than I.
Yea, me too.

I think its wrong to base your skills on what you can do while relaxed and taking your time. Reality is, what you can do at speed, from your holster or a ready position, when rushed and under pressure, and most likely moving. Thats the real judge of what your skills are.

Yea, me too.

I think its wrong to base your skills on what you can do while relaxed and taking your time. Reality is, what you can do at speed, from your holster or a ready position, when rushed and under pressure, and most likely moving. Thats the real judge of what your skills are.

^ this

If you only practice use a perfect stance and grip you are really handicapping your self. You need to practice shooting on the move. If your standing still you are an easy target for the bad guy.

I find that my guns are more accurate than I.

This is an ill thought out statement promoted in gun rags and on the range. It is rather ridiculous in that mechanical accuracy is not what any shooter is going to achieve. It certainly does not answer the OP's question. I am not sure why this line of thinking persists. Shooters would benefit from mastering the handgun shooting fundamentals and increasing the speed at which they apply those fundamentals rather than write off their performance.

This is an ill thought out statement promoted in gun rags and on the range. It is rather ridiculous in that mechanical accuracy is not what any shooter is going to achieve. It certainly does not answer the OP's question.

It's not "ill thought out", it's simply a truism. And the fact that mechanical accuracy is beyond the scope of virtually all shooters is the point.

The OP asked about people's accuracy requirements out of their EDC.
The consensus is that - if we're sticking to guns from reputable manufactures - virtually any gun going to be more than mechanically accurate enough.
So, it really becomes a question of what you can shoot well, and that's going to be subjective.
So there's really no answer to the question if we're talking about the accuracy of the gun.

If we're talking about the accuracy of the shooter, I think 4" groups at 10yds would be a good minimum for an EDC. If you can't manage that at the range you should probably look for something you can shoot better - or practice a bit more before you start carrying.

Quote:
This is an ill thought out statement promoted in gun rags and on the range. It is rather ridiculous in that mechanical accuracy is not what any shooter is going to achieve. It certainly does not answer the OP's question.
It's not "ill thought out", it's simply a truism. And the fact that mechanical accuracy is beyond the scope of virtually all shooters is the point.

The OP asked about people's accuracy requirements out of their EDC.
The consensus is that - if we're sticking to guns from reputable manufactures - virtually any gun going to be more than mechanically accurate enough.
So, it really becomes a question of what you can shoot well, and that's going to be subjective.
So there's really no answer to the question if we're talking about the accuracy of the gun.

^^^^^^^^^^ this.

My take on EDC carry gun is one that fits you and you can shoot. There are many firearms that, if you take your time with it, it can shoot well. For a defensive firearm I prefer something that fits you well enough you can shoot accurately and quickly. For me my favorite carry gun, a S&W 442, I never got use to the boot grip. I could shoot it accurately if I took my time. I did better with a larger grip but by then the size increased and I ended up going to a P232 and then a P239.

There's a line of thinking in the gun world today, especially but not exclusively among those new to handguns, that since most personal defense encounters occur within 15 ft, it's pointless to practice any further. Their standard is man sized target at 15 ft.

While there is certainly a difference between the mode and manner of personal defense training, competition shooting, and handgun hunting, I believe accuracy is to be the foremost consideration. Especially considering that there is much more at stake with the accuracy or inaccuracy of your shot in personal defense than there is in competition or hunting.

Personally, I generally carry a Browning HP. While many folks today are opting for pocket .380's and other such guns. Certainly nothing wrong with these guns, but realistic accuracy is far less than is possible with a full sized auto.

In other words, there's a lot of variables. I tend to think that the farther the distance that you can accurately place shots the better equipped you are. Of course speed is a primary consideration also. Speed is worth nothing without accuracy, and accuracy isn't worth too much without speed in defense handgun shooting.

Accuracy requirements should be tailored to a shooters skill, (don't set up a new shooter at 25 yds,) it will only frustrate. Yet the requirement should also progress with the shooters skill. When accurate hits are achievable at 15 ft. move back to 20 ft. and practice to maintain speed and accuracy.

Sorry for the long post. Hope some of it was useful.

CNS head shots at 25 yards slow fire, 2 shots COM at 7 yards with .25 splits; at that point, the gun's not holding me back, and I need to practice more.

Larry

I like for the gun to hold 4" at 50 yards, unless it's a pocket gun. Those I expect to stay on the head of a B27 at 25 yards. What actually happens on target depends on how much time you have to place your shots. I find the old 'Take your time, in a hurry' adage still rings true.

Back