East German Makarov

pelo801:
Very nice variety you have. I found the larger, almost unknown Polish 9x18 gun--the P-83--to have possibly a better DA pull (slightly heavier but very consistent pressure) than most of my Makarovs.

But the mags in the Polish P-83 will Not interchange with Makarovs.

Last edited:
No doubt that the East German Mak is the best, and apparently you want one . As long as the purchase will not break the budget look for a clean one at the best price . You won't be sorry .

I bought my PCR new in 2000 for around $350 if memory serves. At the time Sig had just discontinued the P225, and they were priced similarly. I still went with the PCR, and am glad I did.
Keep in mind that accounting for inflation, $350 in 2000 is equivalent to $490 in 2015 when I got mine (not sure when Brownstone got his), but that still was a good deal. I'd also rather have mine than a Sig.

I paid $300 plus transfer and shipping for the full size CZ75B (pictured above) around 2000ish.

This topic needs a Russian example, and not an import from Romania. This 1968 example came from the Middle East.

clNaf5Ll.jpg

1ClUy2il.jpg

LGMLWpSl.jpg

4mqvDZtl.jpg

7jlYWNLl.jpg

xETA9Xal.jpg

My Makarov pistols include a Russian Bakial that I replaced the adjustable rear sight with a high visibility fixed unit. An EG and five or six of the Bulgarian unissued Pistols with maintenance logs so even if destined for military/police they never did any holster service. One of My Bulgarian’s has a polish to rival the EG pistol.

I've got other guns with far better fit, finish, bluing, etc. However for some reason I just really want a EG Mak. Anyone own one that feels the same way? Anyone feel the same way about some other firearm?
What most impressed me about the E.G.Mak was the finish. As good as any Colt or Walther I'd seen or owned. Well worth adding one to any collection.

What most impressed me about the E.G.Mak was the finish. As good as any Colt or Walther I'd seen or owned. Well worth adding one to any collection.
The bluing is nice on the EG Maks. Mine has a purple hammer, but other than that is nicely polished and has a smooth deep bluing. It looks much nicer than my two Walther PPs of the same era.

My Mak feels nice in operation too. The slide just glides on the rails, the safety has a satisfying 'snick', and the trigger is very smooth. Although that DA trigger is very heavy, the SA trigger just snaps nicely.

Usually the EG Maks have an electro-stencil with the serial number. Also they will be humped versions.

I have two EGs and two Bulgarians. Also gave my son a Bulgarian....One Bulgarian is a custom Jeff Bezeze, the other MaKs are stock military issue...these were from "back in the day" if you know what I mean :)

I also accumulated all the rigamarole that went with them back then including the holsters, leather, EG rain pattern and shoulder rigs, mags, grips, etc.

I like the EG and CC one of them as well as the Bulgarians. One EG is just kept in the safe.
I hate to disagree with others but in my experience, except for the exterior finish being finer on the EGs, there isn't a lick of difference between trigger, function, dependability, etc. over the Bulgarians.

Have one that I bought some years back. The fit and finish on this thing is excellent!
I do have a couple boxes of ammo for it and did take it out once for a shoot and it was a great shooting handgun.
It’s retired to the safe now for what it is, a C&R from another time! ;)

The East German Makarov is a interesting COLD WAR era collectable from the former DDR , mine came with the original weapons record and shows when it was used and the name of the soldier / police that used it.

before the wall came down these use to be super rare on the collector's market, the blueing is almost like glass

I wouldnt hesitate to use it for personal defense / EDC

I have a Bulgarian I got from classic last year. It has some holster wear but shoots nice ,although its a little snappy on the hand.The sights are hard to see. I put on a green florescent paint and that improved my aim. You can't go wrong with a mak.Would love to get a EG model one day, however the Tok is on my radar for the future.

I didn't realize this was an old thread :o..the thing is, how many things East German do you know of, especially weapons?

East German stuff is all "collectible" They ain't making anymore !

how many things East German do you know of, especially weapons?

Went down to the Pomana Great Western in 1982.

Guy had an East German SKS behind his table. Condition was in the high 90's from what I could see, as he was not letting folks play with it.
It was the only one I've ever seen.
I offered him 600 for it and upped it to 8 (1982 dollars), but he was just not interested in moving it.

Remember, this was years before the import of all the Commie stuff, so who knew?
And, as it all turned out, the EG versions never made it in.

Dang!, I did want that carbine.

JT

the Pomana Great Western in 1982. Guy had an East German SKS

Went down to the Pomana Great Western in 1982.

Guy had an East German SKS behind his table. Condition was in the high 90's from what I could see, as he was not letting folks play with it.
It was the only one I've ever seen.
I offered him 600 for it and upped it to 8 (1982 dollars), but he was just not interested in moving it.

Remember, this was years before the import of all the Commie stuff, so who knew?
And, as it all turned out, the EG versions never made it in.

Dang!, I did want that carbine.

JT

it was most likely a Vietnam War bring back, I would like to have one

also the North Korean sks, North Vietnam sks are all highly collectable

Russian & Chinese seem to be the most common bring backs from Vietnam

I'm kind of feeling that way about a gen 2 glock 23 at the moment. I don't know why.

I like the finger grooves on newer glocks. I like the grip texture on the glock gen 4, the adjustable back straps, the duel recoil spring is better for .40. I hate the cut out on the gen 2 glocks, and by many accounts the gen 2 .40 glocks were less durable than later. .40s. They also occasionally went kaboom thanks to their chamber not being fully supported. It also lacks a light rail, and I'm not even sure if the mags were drop free.

And yet. I just kind of want one.

I also once wanted a german p225 just because the grip was so ergonomic and the gun looked cool. It was totally impractical with its 8 round capacity for a gun that large. And yet I considered buying one for the longest time. Fortunately it was a phase I grew out of it without blowing any money on it.

I'd have to say that my 1961 E. German Makarov is one of the best built and finished "Iron Curtain" weapon. The closest I could get to an E. German AK-47 is to put an E. German stock set on a WASR-10!

mak_5.jpg

mak_1.jpg

mak_2.jpg

mak_3.jpg

mak_4.jpg

east_german_wasr_10.jpg

Even under Communism, there was some German pride in the design of some products. Whether this is a conscious factor in the OP’s desire for an EG, that along with the notorious mystique of the Stasi and the fact that the DDR also no longer exists can exert an influence on a gun’s appeal.

Whoops-I didn’t see the prev. photo on my iPhone....he beat me to it.
Pause and reflect just on the Words: “East German AK-47”. Rather exotic?

Hogwiley: my 9x18 gun interest morphed into German-proofed 9mm Sigs and a CZ ‘PCR’. The P6’s limited capacity and weight do nothing to reduce its reliability/quality and the fact that they are no longer in production.

Luckily a prev. owner changed to a lighter hammer spring (just like the stock spring in my 1998 P225 and pair of 1994 P228s).

Last edited:
Back