Easiest and hardest rifle to shoot accurate with?

I'll take my Sharps in 45/70 with any handload, and I don't own a rifle I can't shoot well; I get rid of 'em.

Can't shoot a pistol worth a darn though. Too much big bang over the years and my nerves are shot.

Easiest- Remington 700 Varmint Special in 6mm. Heavy barrel, light crisp trigger, no recoil with 60 gr loads. Easily my most accurate rifle.

Hardest- Ruger 10/22 with the stock trigger. There are alot of good aftermarket triggers out there for the 10/22, and I need to invest in one. The factory 10/22 trigger is soo heavy and has a good bit of creep. I am used to it and can shoot it accurately, but it still aggravates me.

Easiest to shoot accurately: Tikka 595, .223 Rem with special handloads. Delivers 1/4 min groups consistently, and shoots very well offhand.

Hardest to shoot accurately: Rem 700 BDL, .270 Win...(with factory ammo), only gets about 1.2 MOA. However, with handloads, it averages 5/8 MOA to 400 yards (can't find a place to shoot much farther around here.) However, it shoots extremely well offhand, having an excellent trigger, great scope, and good stock fit.

(I don't keep rifles that don't shoot well for me...after tweaking. I've been shooting, handloading, and gunsmithing for many years, so my expectations are probably higher than the average hunter/shooter.)

Accuracy expectations and difficulty to shoot accurately of all my rifles fall between the above. For instance, my rimfire benchrest custom Rem 40x rifle is capable of 1/16" groups at 50 yards with perfect ammo, but there's no such thing as perfect rimfire ammo or perfect conditions (especially around here). It's a frustrating game and I'm giving it up, after nearly 20 years!

Back