Easiest and hardest rifle to shoot accurate with?

militant

What rifles do you own that are the easiest and hardest to shoot accurately with?
Easiest:My AR15 with optics. My gf shot 1 moa first try.
Hardest:My Mosin Nagant. I can't seem to consistently shoot accurately off hand.

Easiest: Tactical Solutions 10/22 with a suppressor. It's just point-and-click with no ear plugs.
Hardest: MAC-10 sub-machine gun. It's a marvelously amusing bullet hose, but hitting anything beyond 10 meters requires divine intervention.

That question is getting harder to answer, the more I think about it.

Some of my rifles are easier to shoot well from a bench, than off-hand; while others are easier to shoot well off-hand, than a bench; while yet more are easier to shoot well from a bipod or an improvised rest, than off-hand or from a bench.

I don't think I can even give a simple, straight-forward answer.

I shoot my Springfield M1A more consistent than anything else. Best sights on a rifle, ever in my opinion.

I also have a Romanian .22 Bolt action that is ugly, but I shoot lights out with it.

I shoot worse with my 870 deer gun than anything else. I almost hate that gun. I am praying for the pistol calibered rifles to be allowed here soon.

Easiest is my Tikka T3 it hits exactly where you aim it, and it has the best trigger on any factory rifle. Followed closely by my Savage 110 30-06 she is a real shooter and the Accutrigger helps.
Hardest Winchester 70 Super Shadow 7mm Rem Mag (New Haven push feed), inaccurate as it could be, BAD recoil and a real heavy gritty trigger. That rifle never hit 3MOA much less 1, in my hands or anyone elses.

Easiest? I guess anything from .243 on down.

Hardest? I guess anything that kicks more than my pet '06.

I figure it's easiest to hit with whatever you're most "all married up with". :) One of those familiarity-breeds-competence deals.

10-.22 gets my vote for easiest.

Either a .45-70 big game rifle, or a .50 BMG without a muzzle brake.

(You might be on target with the first, but I've seen a fair number of shooters flinch big time on the shots after the first. )

Easiest to shoot is an accurate, well balanced, properly sighted rifle with a smooth consistent trigger break.
Hardest to shoot is an inaccurate, military club with open sights, ferocious recoil, and a trigger release like a sticky storm door latch.

Easiest would be my .222 or .223 Sakos'
Hardest would be a .577 Snider carbine , Nagants' are easy by comparison. Or the Ruger Mini 14 - the 2 I had were woefully inacurate & the triggers could best be described as agricultural.

There are lots of rifles that are easy to shoot accuratly, but the hardest have been milspec M4s and the occaisional AK. Mainly because milspec triggers generally suck and AK sights leave a lot to be desired at range.

The easiest were M24s and AMU accurized M16A4s.

My personal rifles are all pretty much geared towards accurate shooting, but comparing an M41 Swede to an AR15 HBAR is apples to oranges.

Jimro

Easiest is a toss up between my 10/22 and Savage 93 17HMR. Most difficult is my Marlin 1895 with hot handloads which I don't shoot anymore. These days I load 45-70 to between 20 ,000psi and 28,000psi according to the loading manuals and it's a pleasure to shoot.

Now For handguns I can't shoot a 1911 for the life of me. I love the 1911 but I just can't shoot them accurately for some reason. It's not the gun or the cartridge either because I've seen people shoot the same guns extremely well.

Last edited:
For real accuracy, a long barreled .22 rimfire with std velocity ammo is the most difficult. The shooters technique, position, follow through, trigger control all must be letter perfect. The extremely slow bullet (1050 +/- fps) makes all the above critical. It might have virtually no recoil, but the rifle starts moving when the bullet start moving. It's up to the shooter to minimize all the above for real accuracy. Add to that, the lot to lot variations in .22 rf ammo, poor ballistic coefficient, sensitivity to crosswinds and variations in priming mix distribution.
I see smallbore benchrest shooters at my club with VERY expensive hand built rifles on rests that cost another huge sum, struggle to be able to shoot groups of 1/4" at 50 yds. While a CF rifle with similar equipment will easily shoot 1/4" groups at 100 + yards.

Roger

Last edited:
Of mine-

Easiest: Ruger Frontier in 7-08, 2X forward mounted scope. With "reduced recoil" handloads (139gr @ 2400), even my 10 year old son could sit down and pop gallon jugs out to 200 yards fast enough that we had to ration his ammo so there were jugs left for other people to shoot with other guns.

Hardest: .45 cal flintlock kentucky rifle. Clack-poof-Bang! ..... while holding the near 5 foot gun still, "Rock smashin' flinchlock" ..... oh, and 20 rounds of practice takes over an hour, too, so getting "good" takes forever.

I don't think Mosins shoot 1 inch groups with irons. I call BS if anyone says they can. I can hit a paper plate at 100 yards pretty consistently, but I am a beeter shot with a 30-30 lever gun than my Mosin.

Back