Early nickle pre model 10 otg! With pictures no maker

GoldenARM55

Inactive
Just found this vintage girl and boy am I stumped, Its got no made in the usa on it, it's also dosent say Smith and Wesson on the stock. I would really appreciate someone chiming in here. Guy wants $425 but it's super sticky

Attachments

• Resized_20200319_182942(1)_compress56.jpg
    Resized_20200319_182942(1)_compress56.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 260
  • 20200319_182559_compress98.jpg
    20200319_182559_compress98.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 20200319_182546_compress7.jpg
    20200319_182546_compress7.jpg
    229.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Bill's right. The font's correct, the shield is right under all the corrosion and the general "form" of the frame is right. S&W.

If a person wanted the grips and they are good on both sides AND there're no mechanical issues, $300 or so.

Last edited:
An early M&P Model of 1905 fourth change. Maybe 1915-1916, surely pre US entry WWI.

By the way, the collectors' made up term of "Pre model 10" applies only to those guns made with the short action and before model numbers were assigned. About 1950-1957.

That's a clean looking Luger with holster.

Last edited:
I wouldn't give ten cents for the gun, but I like those mother of pearl grips. No idea what they'd be worth though.

(I think I'm the only person who likes pearl grips. I don't care what Patton said.) :)

It's "CTG", not "OTG".

Mal is right. S&W called that chambering the 38 S&W Special Ctg. for years. That designation leads to many beginners over on the S&W Forum asking about their "Model 38 S&W Special Ctg" revolvers. They have a sticky over there explaining it but apparently nobody reads it. (smile)

Dave

I have been tempted to make up something abbreviated C. T. G. for their edification, but have refrained because of my philosophical opposition to practical jokes.

Then the Other Brand sold ".38 Colt Specials".

If a top break is marked ".38 S&W Ctge" it isn't a Smith and Wesson, it is a Harrington and Richardson chambered for the Smith designed ammo. I have seen very confusing examples of S&W grips on a H&R gun.

A bit aside, there was ".32 SAP" ammo, Savage Automatic Pistol.

I'd pass on it too, especially for that price. Is just too rough to really consider a nice collectable addition to a collection, and its priced way too high for a ' shooter quality' revolver

The left side of the barrel should say Smith & Wesson, the 38 S & W Special CTG should be on the right side of the barrel.

I love the inputs from everyone, that gun is a pass, to bad cause I really do love the vibe. I found it had sat in a Wisconsin basement for many many years. I really am scrambling to find a home for a revolver to protect my family if things with this corna virus gets outta control and dumb dumbs wanna break in.

Howdy

Yes, it is an early 38 Military and Police Model of 1905 4th Change. No, it is not a Spanish knock off.

Regarding the position of the caliber marking and the S&W shield on the frame, these things changed position over the years.

The SN range for this model ran from 241,704 though 1,000,000 from 1915 until 1942. Difficult to pin down exactly when it was made, but it is very early one, considering how low the SN is. Also, the large mushroom shaped knob on the front of the ejector rod marks it as a very early one.

The earliest 4th Change in my collection has a SN of 3394XX. It shipped in 1920. Very worn on the outside, but with a little bit of cleaning up inside it works fine. Nothing I can do about the worn grips, and I'm not going to replace them. Notice the large mushroom shaped cap on the end of the ejector rod. Later versions had a smaller cap, and then finally the cap was deleted and the end of the extractor rod itself was knurled. My notes say I paid $325 for it a few years ago. Probably paid too much, but I have a warm spot for old K frames.

plOYQS7Qj

poaVZVfmj

Yes, I wish I had a dollar for how many times guys say they have a 38 SW SPECIAL CTG and want to know when it shipped.

No comment on running out and buying a revolver for the oncoming zombie apocalypse.

Back