Early cartridge conversions... 38 S&W ever find their way into one ???

In regards to "conversions" - I've been loooking at "replica" conversions and those sold by Cimarron (Uberti) that are chambered in 38 Colt Long/ 38 Spl have barrels that are .357.

In regards to the conversions versus Colt assemblies . . . I've been looking at the 1872 Colt open top - will probably get one that is chambered in 38 Colt / 38 spl. since I can get the 38 Colt Short and cut down 38 spl to 38 Colt Long length. Anyways . . . in looking and inquiring over not he Colt forum . . .

the 1872 open top . . . which was not a conversion but a separate model . . about 7,000 produced . . . the early ones evidently had the Navy frame. It makes sense as the 1851 Navy was discontinued in 1872 and Colt would have had parts on hand. It was also available in the Army frame. Barrel length was 7 1/2". Cimarron offers their 1872 open tops in 4 3/4", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2" barrel length and I questioned that . . . and from photos of originals, the barrels were sometimes "cropped" by the owners at some point. The 1872 was made in .44 Henry rimfire to go well with the 1866 Winchester chambered in 44 Henry.

If the OP is thinking of conversion . . . . the option is there to retain the C & B .36 bore and use a heeled bullet . . . or line to .357 and utilize a flat base RN for CAS (I don't shoot CAS so don't' know what the rules are).

Originally, I was planing on getting a conversion cylinder for either one of my '51 Navies or my '58 Remington Navy. When I started looking at the price of conversion cylinders added on to the price of the C & B . . . I decided to go with one of the '72 open tops and / or one of the conversions that gave me the .357 bore.

I reload a lot of 38 Spl. to shoot in "vintage" revolvers but want to start loading BP cartridge as well . . . thus my reasoning for going with the 1872 open top (or possibly a conversion) that has the .357 bore. Basically, one less mold to buy for me. The replica conversions give you the "option" of 38 Colt Short, 38 Colt Long and 38 Spl. Personally, I want to try all three cartridges . . just to have something to "play with". I guess it all depends on how much time/effort you want to put in to it and in the end, either way should work fine . . a .357 bore and conventional .358 lead RN or the larger bore with a good "heeled" bullet.

Please keep us posted on what you end up doing . . all interesting stuff! :)

Back