Early 90's Sav 110

Just forget to mention that you ever shot handloads through it.

Stag,
As a general rule, all my Savages have shot about 1 MOA upon getting them. During tuning, i've seen them open up that much.

It's worth a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Why would you feel bad? You not only invested in something that clearly did not perform to expectations--but relentlessly wasted ammo trying to make it go.;)
I am just like that. I dont expect them to lifetime warranty a rifle and I waited way too long.

Reynolds makes it pretty clear it's always shot erratically no matter what he tried. I wouldn't hesitate giving Savage a go if that really is the case, no matter how long ago it was when he bought it. What's there to lose? I've returned and exchanged numerous barrels over time and the guy or gal on the other end of the line usually can tell if you're being stand-up or not.

I am just like that. I dont expect them to lifetime warranty a rifle and I waited way too long.
My perspective would be "I have come to expect outstanding performance from your rifles--which is why I have bought so many over time. But this one for some reason never worked right from the git-go; frustrated, I thought it was something I could fix on my own and periodically would try something new, and then return it to the safe disappointed. I finally have figured out that it is an anomaly and would really like to have the rifle/barrel checked and be able to shoot MOA or less which I know is the norm for your great products."

A pencil thin barrelled, synthetic stocked, .270 is a hunting rifle. The light weight was very popular in the 90's for Elk and other beasts living in high places. First shot accuracy is what's important.
That 2.5 MOA, providing it's consistent with a cold barrel, is plenty accurate for deer sized game. The inconsistency when hot is kind of typical of those thin barrels too.
Floating a barrel guarantees nothing. Some rifles like it, some just do not. I'd put a pressure point in. Dab of bedding material about 1 or 2 inches from the end on the fore stock. And try it.

A pencil thin barrelled, synthetic stocked, .270 is a hunting rifle. The light weight was very popular in the 90's for Elk and other beasts living in high places. First shot accuracy is what's important.
That 2.5 MOA, providing it's consistent with a cold barrel, is plenty accurate for deer sized game. The inconsistency when hot is kind of typical of those thin barrels too.
Floating a barrel guarantees nothing. Some rifles like it, some just do not. I'd put a pressure point in. Dab of bedding material about 1 or 2 inches from the end on the fore stock. And try it.
Its 2.5 MOA cold. 5 days, 1 shot a day on the same target, 2.5 MOA. It has had a pressure point. All it did was cause more pronounced vertical string in the group.

I have a pencil thin Remington that will shoot 1/2 moa 5 shot groups shot 1 shot per day.

Last edited:
Back