Early 90's Sav 110

reynolds357

I have a early 1990s production Savage 110, synthetic stock, pencil thin barrel, 270 Winchester. I bought the rifle new. I have drug it out multiple times over the years and messed with it, but it never has and still wont shoot worth a flip, 2.5 minute. Its bedded, floated, has had several different scopes, over 30 different bullet/ load combos. Any ideas short of rebarrel? Its 2.5moa keeping barrel cool. Heat it up and its a pure scatter gun.

Last edited:
I had one once that shot a little worse than that. Mine ended up having a barrel that was not straight. I bought it used though. I guess possibly a crown issue

That was a typo. Meant 2.5 cool. My big fat thumb typed "w.5". I edited it.
Any sign the barrel nut may have relaxed? Without full pressure the threads might not be properly engaging--just a thought and should be an easy check.

Might be a good idea to take a close look at the throat and bore--270 win can run pretty hot and if you bought it used could be worn out. I was pretty surprised to see that 270 Weatherby magnum runs at a lower peak pressure than the standard 270 win, and it's a given it will likely lose it's accuracy under 1,000 round count.

Last edited:
I burned the throat out on my 7mm-08AI to the point where i couldn't seat a 140gr bullet to 0.020" off the lands, 160gr were seated to the shoulder junction, and still put 5 round under an inch at 100 yards.

Savage's are very dependent upon correct action screw torque.
Tighten front to 30 inlb. Rear to 5 inlb. Shoot group. Tighten rear by 5 in lbs. Shoot group.
Do this till you get to 30 in lb.
You'll see groups tighten then spread out.

One of my rifles likes 5 inlb. One likes 25 inlb.
Just depends on the rifle.

As a side note, i hope your resting the rifle on the stock, not the barrel.
Still see this quite a bit at the range.

Might be a good idea to take a close look at the throat and bore--270 win can run pretty hot and if you bought it used could be worn out. I was pretty surprised to see that 270 Weatherby magnum runs at a lower peak pressure than the standard 270 win, and it's a given it will likely lose it's accuracy under 1,000 round count.
Bought new and was a dog straight out of the box.

Before you recrown, do you handload, and have you tuned your action?
As I said, I have tried over 30 load combinations. Vadt majority were handloads. Elaborate on "tuning" a Savafe action. I tune their bench rest actions using torque adjustment, but we are talking about making 1/4 moa difference. I am not aware of what kind of tuning will help the 2 screw that is shooting 2.5 moa.

Assuming the gun was bought new I doubt burn out is the problem. My guess would be that thin barrel. Worst shooting rifle I ever had by a long shot was a Mod 700, that likght weigh one they came out with years ago, can't remember the mod number. It had that really thin barrel and nothing I could do got it to shoot better than about 2.5" groups; it was a 223. My all time favorite hunting rifle ws a Rem 660 in 308 with a 20" barrel. Thng was a great shooter. But it had a fairly heavy barrel on it, I suspect that's why it shot so well. Had to try to heat up the barrel. I'd suggest, if you want to spend the money, going to a new barrel with a heavier contour.

My sincere apology--I misread kilotanker's purchase as your's. I've had boatloads of savages over many years and never had one that couldn't shoot well under MOA--usually closer to .5 with a good handload--but I just bought a new 350 legend (mostly out of frustration with an AR build) and it shoots pretty crappy for a savage IMO, around 1.2 to 1.5 MOA at 100 yds. I've grown to hate that cartridge!

Reynolds,

That is exactly what i'm talking about.
And i've witnessed 2 MOA difference during the process. Especially with the factory plastic stocks on a hunting profile rifle. Even with pillars in it.

You could always sell it to me.
Since Stagpanther decided to use his Axis action, i'm still searching for an action. :D

Reynolds,

That is exactly what i'm talking about.
And i've witnessed 2 MOA difference during the process. Especially with the factory plastic stocks on a hunting profile rifle. Even with pillars in it.

Since Stagpanther decided to use his Axis action, i'm still searching for an action. :D
I will mess with the torque a bit. Problem is the barrel is so heat sensitive, you only get about 2 shots per half hour.
I try to aquire, not get rid of, Savage actions. I think its about to be reborn as a 6.5x284 long throat.

Last edited:
See if you can send it back to savage. They have been good to me in the past when I've had issues. I'd call them and ask if they would simply swap the barrel since it's always been a dog for you. The vast majority of manufacturers don't want bad samples of their stuff out there making a poor name for them.

Since Stagpanther decided to use his Axis action, i'm still searching for an action.
Gonna call you wiley coyote from now on.:D Yes Tupperware stocks flex--but they aren't going to shoot that badly; I've had something like ten of them over the years and none of them shot that badly because of the stock.

See if you can send it back to savage. They have been good to me in the past when I've had issues. I'd call them and ask if they would simply swap the barrel since it's always been a dog for you. The vast majority of manufacturers don't want bad samples of their stuff out there making a poor name for them.
I probably should have done it 20+ years ago, but In my opinion its been too long for me to even ask. I would feel bad asking.

I probably should have done it 20+ years ago, but In my opinion its been too long for me to even ask. I would feel bad asking.
It's worth a try. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Why would you feel bad? You not only invested in something that clearly did not perform to expectations--but relentlessly wasted ammo trying to make it go.;)

Last edited:
Back