Early 1970's Blackhawk

Here it is. It needs a bath for sure.
2yopzpe.jpg

2m5l7p5.jpg

I bought a 7.5" 45 BH back then. Had it cut to 4&5/8 and then sold it. Oh well.

Don't understand hot rod 45 loads.

This one will never see any Hot 45 loads. I like the soft shooting regular 45 Colt loads. I think 255 grains of lead moving at 900fps is plenty to take the fight out of most things that breathe :) If I want to punish my hand I'll pull out the Interarms Dragoon and fire some 44 mag screamers to tickle my fancy.

All my Ruger BHs are the early 1970s OM 3-screws. That includes my Super BH, .41 mag BH, and 4.5" and 7.5" .45 Colt BHs.

Congratulations on a fine gun. I expect it will give you good service.

I had a 3 screw .41 Mag back in the early 80s. Nice gun, but I wound up getting rid of it, because I needed a deer gun, and the barrel was too short to meet the legal state requirement, back then. Since then, the state has changed it rules, and it would be legal today, though it wasn't, then. :mad:

The 3 screws are good guns, and if you want the best SA that works like a Colt, they are the way to go, until you step up to the quality and price range of Freedom Arms.

My own collection is all new models, a couple .45 Blackhawks, a .357, a .44Mag Super Blackhawk, several Vaqueros, and a Super Single Six. I really like the fact that you can carry them safely with all 6 loaded, and I do like the way opening the loading gate frees the cylinder for loading and unloading.

I'm one of the (apparent) few that doesn't need my SA's to look, or work like the original Colts.

I've found the trigger pull on my guns to be fine, and I know what to do if I get one that isn't. 3 screw Rugers also have decent triggers, and while I've never had a 3 screw converted by Ruger, "everyone" says the converted guns triggers are poor, and many put the old parts back in, to get a better pull.

Deerslayer303, I once had several times that number but you know how "gun wishing" goes. I grew up with the old Colt SSA and the "3 clicks to cock" is what I was used to. I have also owned quite a number of their transfer bar BHs and have no complaints with them although I never kept one. In fact, the most accurate .22LR SA revolver I've ever fired was a stainless Single Six with magnum cylinder. I still can't believe I let it go. Here is a photo of my loyal four.

Back