Early 03 receiver question

Then there were all the great chambers developed that were deemed a marginal success over the parent cartridge, for some 40+ years would pass before suitable powders were developed that allowed the chambers to catch up with their potential, with longer barrels and new powders some are still getting better. The same powders help LNs today. The difference between slow burning and fast burning powder is sudden shock.

Not the same but 308 W rounds have been fired, by the best, in the 30/06, the shoulder is erased and is never formed, the 30/06 shoulder is forward of the 308 W .388, again until the case fills the chambrer pressure can not be an issue.

As to head space and blowing up, Hatcher moved the shoulder forward on a 30/06 .125 thousands, he fired standard ammo in the modified 30/06 +.125 chamber thinking the rifle would blow up, instead he formed cases for the HATCHER MODIFIED 30/06 +.125 chamber, it is still being done today by mistake when an 8mm57 is fired in an 8mm06 chamber, instead of blowing the rifle, when the 8mm57 cases are extracted they come out as 8mm06 cases with very short necks, the difference between the Hatcher modified chamber and the 30/06 is the same as the difference between the 8/06 and 8mm57 within .003 thousands, Hatcher did not consider moving the shoulder forward .125 lowered the pressure (big time) when he fired 30/06 cases, so before the pressure gets serious the case must fill the chamber first. Head space is something we talk about, a lot, but do not understand. If Hatcher had full length sized his cases between firings and using the same cases over and over etc. with total disregard to head space yes, failure is built into that technique, for the most part all is forgiven for firing a new case in a rifle with head space, again I have an Eddystone with .016 thousands head, but I will spare you the details.

I have close to 100 FA 58 National Match cases, I have been told and have read there was a problem created when Frankfort arsenal took a short cut, they eliminated, 1 process as a result the case heads were too soft and were sold to a scrap yard, before I knew about the possibility of a problem, I loaded and fired them, now the cases are retired with the BN cases.

Back