Ear protection level

I wear ear plugs and 34 decibel muffs, and as others have stated, even thats not enough; however, it is the best you can currently do.

Part of the problem is that, even with muffs, sound can get in through the muffs and through your bones around your ear.

I would gladly contribute to a fund for someone to create a totally encapsulated helment that a shooter would wear as hearing protection. It would be like a motorcycle helment and would provide complete protection, thus preventing as much sound and vibration from penetrating to the shooter. Sure, people would think it’s weird at first, but a stylish design can help promote acceptance; and as more people wore it, it would become normal. My hearing means a lot to me, and I’d gladly wear a helment, if the helment would be the ultimate ear protection.

Machineguntony, if you simply wear a motorcycle helmet as is, with plugs on underneath, you will already get a huge amount of sound dampening. Modern helmets are designed with acoustics in mind and help to quiet down road/wind noise a lot. Granted they are not generally designed with shock-wave supression in mind. Just not sure how much more real sound de-amplification you would get with separate materials in the same format. Most of sound/acoustic suppression comes from dense/layered materials with air gaps. It's all about isolation, but also weight. You would basically have to have a booth to completely eliminate sound from your left and right and you would still get reflection from downrange unless there was some sort of "porthole" affair to shoot through.

I use plugs and muffs, but still have a complaint. Magnums with muzzle brakes. Actually anything with a muzzle brake is pretty bad. I wish they would legalize suppressors.
Jugornot, I'll agree with you on that one. Some seem to bite your ears no matter how good your earpro is.

I recently passed on a sweet-looking braked 10" .204 Ruger Contender barrel. It looked like it'd be a boatload of fun, but I bet that thing is louder than hell.

I bought from Midway , you mix two compounds together insert in each ear to form fit ear plugs . Sounds crazy , was thinking I probably would have to take a drive to the hospital . Didn't and for me they work great , made a few . Even shoot indoors with them . Headphone type bothered me banchrest shooting ,that's why I gave them a try . That's the only hearing protection I wear . What is the first word I say though for some reason . Only kidding .

...a totally encapsulated helment that a shooter would wear as hearing protection. It would be like a motorcycle helment and would provide complete protection, thus preventing as much sound and vibration from penetrating to the shooter.

Funny, I've thought exactly the same thing for the past year or two. It might not work too well for aiming a rifle but would be great for handguns.

I ended up getting the Radians Terminator - NRR 29 dB. Foldable and adjustable. Wore them for 2 hours and they were comfortable. Could have gone another hour if I'd had more ammo. I was at an outdoor range and I found them better than the plugs I had been using. At an indoor range, I would go with the plugs and the muffs.

Glad you got what you need!

These are boring, but add a lot of noise reduction to good muffs....LINK

On the outside I use pro-ears without complaint....LINK

Ok so i have always had HORRIBLE issues with the foam inserts. I have tried all the tricks and I can never get them to seal right. Side note, I usually have to buy special inserts to use earbuds or they are too big and fall out. Due to that I have always just muffed.... but with what you guys are saying... I should go with both. Fortunately I have not had much range time, so the only muffs damage should be minimal... Has anyone found that certain foam plugs work better then others as far as sealing? Maybe I have just had junky ones?
I though about getting these for under the muffs:
http://www.berettausa.com/en-us/beretta-off-shot-mini-passive-earplugs/

Speaking of muffs... you guys got me curious to see what my Beretta muffs speced at.... Specs I have dug up say
H - 32dB
M - 22dB
L - 13dB
SNR - 25dB
So what does that mean... which rating do I go with??? the 25?

I also got their glasses.... but what i found was the glasses had a square frame. I would put on the muffs and it gave a a huge headache at my temples. I have a small head. Can wear kid size hats. HAd to wear a kid size XL helmet when I went to one of those go cart type tracks. Bet this effects the sealing too. Thoughts??? What do you guys do to mitigate this?

So far... I talked to some trusted gun folks and they recommended the Harbor Freight safety glasses... yes the cheapies... but they have a flat side frame. OMG I can wear the muffs for hours and hours now, but do I trust them to be safe enough?

The ear protection levels advertised ASSUME a perfect fit.
If you wear glasses or have non-short hair, you may need to try multiple sets to get a good fit.

Except EVERYONE wears SOME form of glasses when shooting........right? ;)

I have tried all the tricks and I can never get them to seal right

The best way to insert a foam plug is to roll it tightly, reach over your head with your opposite hand, tug your ear up and insert the plug COMPLETELY and let it expand to fill your ear canal; repeat for other ear, then use muffs over that

redraif said:
Has anyone found that certain foam plugs work better then others as far as sealing? Maybe I have just had junky ones?

Yes, some are better than others. I've had poor experiences with the little cylinders of foam that expand after you've put them in your ear. Either I don't get it in well enough and it works its way out, or I really get it in there and can't grab enough to pull it out.

I like the kind with a series of baffles and a little handle at the end for holding a string. The handle allows the muff to hold the plug in the ear.

Yes, some are better than others. I've had poor experiences with the little cylinders of foam that expand after you've put them in your ear. Either I don't get it in well enough and it works its way out, or I really get it in there and can't grab enough to pull it out.

I like the kind with a series of baffles and a little handle at the end for holding a string. The handle allows the muff to hold the plug in the ear.
My problem with those fancy ones is that they make an air tight seal and it is very painful to remove them due to the vacuum they draw on the ear drum. Maybe actually damaging. They should be compressed to the side to let air in before removal.

Folks tinnitus is no joke. My right ear rings constantly. I lost the hearing in my right ear at the age of 12 from blunt trauma from a baseball bat to the head. Long story, not going to waste your time. My eardrum still works, so I use in ear plugs for both sides outdoors on the range. I don't shoot indoors, but would probably use muffs and plugs if I did.

The best plugs I have dealt with, and I've used a lot as I worked in industrial supply and it was required, have been the tapered orange or multicolored smooth compressible foam plugs. They smush down nicely and expand and stay put. Plus, they are not overly firm to put too much pressure on the ear canal.

As far as brands go, Howard Leight makes some fantastic plugs and I've been really happy with them. My wife has used them at night at times when the snores from my side are unbearable. I'm partial to the Laser Lites.

It was a time when I was an active indoor shooter. I had an opinion that my hearing will regenerate till two or three days after shooting. I admitted my hearing loss in two years. I think it is wise to use muffs. I use industrial one now.

I hate to beat a dead horse but as others have said you get one set of ears. Don't play around. Ear plugs can be had as cheap as 200 pair for 29 bucks and their of good quality. Max-Lite (-30NNR) come to mind but there are others. A good head set can be had on Amazon for under 20 bucks. NO excuse to not use both indoors, and I have for years. If I could triple up I would. I remember punch presses constantly pounding in the shop, loud rock music concerts I went to (ok I played in a band also), even lawn mowers. It's a wonder I can hear at all, but I'm lucky for sure. At my age I have too many friends who can't hear because we just didn't know any better 45 years ago, and what's available today is better than what was available then. Today we know better and the cost is well within anyone who shoots reach. Be safe!

Back