Ear Plugs

To be effective foam ear plugs must be inserted correctly. Roll them tightly onto a cyclinder, use your left arm to teach around over your head, lift back and up on the back of your right ear to straighten the canal; insert the tightly rolled plug and hold your finger on it. You'll feel it begin to xpand; hold your finger there until it is fully xpanded. Repeat for the other ear.

For pistol, use or not muffs.

I asked my VA for molded plugs, but they don't provide them unless there is a trauma to the drum or middle ear. I did ask my audiologest to take impressions (I have hearing aides). He did, and by any other name they are custom ear plugs. Almost complete silence. A little trimming and to smooth the rough outside of the "cast". Now I can shoot the rifle without muffs. Insertion is a little tricky, but not hard.

Now, for the noise/vibration from bone conduction from my cheek weld, I use a couple pieces of mole skin on the stock at the point of cheek weld....also helps find my correct weld, and it is warmer than the cold stock.

The trick to getting ear plugs to work right is to get them to fit the ear canal properly.
Like pcw stated above the procedure to insert the plugs but my ear left canal is too large to get most of the plugs to work. I have to use the large orange foam plugs & insert them just right to get them to seal. Or I have to use plugs & muffs.

Back