Eabco barrels

reynolds357

Anyone ever used an EABCO barrel for a bolt action build? I am thinking about using one on a hunting rifle I am rebarreling?
What is their quality like?

Their web site has no data on bore and groove dimensions nor tolerances. Prices are at the low end of the industry. Draw your own conclusions.

Their web site has no data on bore and groove dimensions nor tolerances. Prices are at the low end of the industry. Draw your own conclusions.
I know they won't be Lilja, my usual brand, but wondering if they would be good enough for varmint rifle.

I know they won't be Lilja, my usual brand, but wondering if they would be good enough for varmint rifle.
You need to ask yourself how much you're saving over a "name brand" barrel. I don't know if you've priced a better quality barrel, but they really aren't that expensive. At least do a price comparison.

What's the biggest test groups you'll accept at 200 yards? 1 inch? 2 inches? 3?

Better yet, what is the most you want to miss your point of aim (where you call the shot) at 200?

Last edited:
5/8ths MOA equals 1.25 inch at 200 yards which is a good spec for all shots from a varmint rifle. And it requires a pretty good barrel and ammo to do that.

Sierra's spec for their match bullets is all test shots inside 1 inch at their 200 yard indoor range the last time I checked.

Last edited:
I have two of their ' accuracy ' barrels for encores, they both are well made and nicely finished. Accuracy is about on par for hunting- both shoot just under an inch at 100 yards.

I recommend them for a hunting rifle, your needs sound more stringent, you may want to look elsewhere.

Reynolds,

You may want to look at E.R. Shaw, or Douglas.
I have 2 E.R. Shaw barrels, getting ready to order a 3rd. Have been really happy on price, quality of machining, quality of finish, and of course accuracy.
1.5 contour large ring Mauser barrel, 24", polished, blued with 11 degree recessed crown short chambered in 284 Win delivered to my door for $272.

Douglas has been getting a decent rep with their air gage barrels.

I have two of their ' accuracy ' barrels for encores, they both are well made and nicely finished. Accuracy is about on par for hunting- both shoot just under an inch at 100 yards.

I recommend them for a hunting rifle, your needs sound more stringent, you may want to look elsewhere.

Mike, I don't think the OP is looking for an Encore barrel. Even the absolute best Encores generally don't shoot as good as a good bolt-action. There is just too much "slop" in the action. So, while EABCO's Encore barrels may have only gotten you to "hunting" accuracy there is no reason to believe that their bolt-action barrels wouldn't be much better.

For a consistently accurate barrel I always think the three B's...Bartlein, Brux, Broughton. To save a little money and get a good barrel X-Caliber and McGowen get a serious look.

Reynolds,

You may want to look at E.R. Shaw, or Douglas.
I have 2 E.R. Shaw barrels, getting ready to order a 3rd. Have been really happy on price, quality of machining, quality of finish, and of course accuracy.
1.5 contour large ring Mauser barrel, 24", polished, blued with 11 degree recessed crown short chambered in 284 Win delivered to my door for $272.

Douglas has been getting a decent rep with their air gage barrels.
Thanks. I definitely do not want a Shaw. I have used a couple of Douglas xx premium barrels in the past. They are ok, but overpriced for what they are.

get a douglas barrel, forget the others, you wont regret it.

Unless its a poor barrel.

EABCO seem to put out a pretty good barrel that will do 5/8 MOA but there is alwyas variability, caliber chosen, your ammo, the rest of the setup as well as the shooter.

Shilen and Criterion would be the middle of the road quality barrels. Others maybe as good. I would not touch an Excalibur.

Interesting.

Each barrel is unique.You might get a quarter minute Green Mountain.Or Remington .

But there will be variability on what comes out the door.There will be barrels "graded on the curve" with some B's,C's,and D's. You can buy barrels like lotto tickets. You might get a winner.

Some barrel makers do all they can do to put out the best barrel possible.

Its rare they produce less than an A. Yup,you pay for their work.

I have used Douglas barrels on hunting rifles. I have never been disappointed . I consider them moderately priced.
Douglas barrels were selectedfor the Squad Designated Marksman rifle barrels.
IMO,Douglas makes a good,dependable barrel for the price. My one Lilja barrel,a #3 contour 30/338 shoots good.

If I was going to be disappointed with anything worse than 5/8 MOA at 200 yds,would I order a Douglas? No.

I'd pay the price and order a Kreiger. 5/8 MOA is a pretty tight standard and I don't like to be disappointed. Why mess around with the effort and expense of the rest of the rifle?

I don't doubt Bartlein,Brux,Obermeyer,etc are good bets,too. I have no experience with them.

Back