Duty/Service Pistols: What did you use, how did you like it?

Out of the academy, I had a S&W 5906, which was reliable, but seemed to have too much play between the upper and lower receivers. It was also on the heavy side. Our carry policy changed after a while, allowing us to carry Glocks. I went to a G17 and then later to a G19. Loved both of them, but policy changed again, now allowing .40 caliber so I went to a G23. Great gun for my small hands and for concealment. Policy changed again and I got bored so I got an H&H USP .40 w/a stainless upper receiver. HATED the crunchy double action trigger pull so I went to a Beretta Cougar 8040D. Loved that, but got bored so I got a Beretta 96D, which I carried about 10 or more. During that time, the H&K P2000 was introduced so I got one for off-duty, later using on duty for bike patrol. Went back to 96D after that duty until I got bored again so I got my current G23 gen 4. I'm happy now with it after it stopped brass to the face and a few fail to feed early on. Really happy now with the 3.5 lbs trigger springs/connector I recently added. I may get bored again and get a .......

Service gun's I've had several. My department didnt issue firearms. We had to buy our own. We could get anything we wanted... as long as it was a blue steel fixed sight .38 spl, 4" barrel... manufactured by Colt or Smith n Wesson. Later on the Rugers came on line and they authorized service six revolvers. A little later they got real jiggie and authorized stainless steel revolvers, and a bit later authorized stainless steel revolvers with 3" barrels.

My first service gun was a S&W model 10 4" blue (nickel was a no-no)
My next addition to my service revolvers was a 3" R/B stainless S&W. They actually made uniform service holsters for it.

The department started to go with autoloaders. We had a choice of a DAO S&W, a DAO Sig, or the Glock 19. I went with the Glock 19. My service revolvers also remained authorized and I was able to switch up when the mood struck me.

Funny thing... When Police women changed titles and became police officers and were put on routine patrol like the males they were authorized 3" barrel, squair butt, model 36's. Yep five shot service revolvers. They even made teeny tiney service holsters for them. As new female officers were hired, and most opted for full sized service revolvers the rules changed, and all females had to get a model 10. colt O/P, or a ruger service six.

I've passed on the issue sidearms; HK P-7, BHP, HK USP, Glock 22/23 in favor of personal 1911s and now the XD.

I carried a fine Model 27 which I wish I had not sold to another officer. I loved that revolver and would choose it first over an automatic today. Count that as age...

Back when I was in the military I started out on the 1911A1 and then the M9
I really disliked the Barretta. Since starting with this department 13 yrs ago I have carried a S&W 686, Glock 19 and Glock 17.

My personal ccw id a Glock 19. So that should tell you how I feel about about them.

Started as a cop with Smith Model 19, then a 686, both issued. Been there long enough to have a choice, a Sig p220 in .45. Last several years, a Colt Cobra. Have noticed the older I get, the lighter my carry piece is. Never fired any of them except at the range. (and that not often enough)

I started my PD service with a used 6" Colt Python bought from another officer. I changed to a 4" S&W 66 when they came out because I was on Marine Patrol at that time and the Python started to rust. Both guns were great.
Somewhat related, I was one of the first two members of my Department's SWAT unit. We had to supply our own long guns. My rifle was my personal Colt AR15 SP1.

Mark

Police Officer 1980-2012

1980-1985 Model 64 S&W
1985-1986 Model 66 S&W...bought that one
1986-1988 Model 645 S&W
1989-1992 Model 669 S&W (detective)
1992-1997 Model 4506 S&W(patrol)
1997-2009 HK USP...bought that one
2009-2012 Retired Sergeant and took a Glock 21SF with me :)

carried the M-60 for 13 months in country with a worn out 1911 as a side arm.

I own a WWII vintage Ithaca now that rarely gets fed. I prefer revolvers because I don't have to bend over to reclaim brass:D

I've only carried a service "pistol" daily during my tour of duty in Saigon wearing civilian clothes the majority of the time. It was a Colt Detective Special .38. I never fired it at anything except paper. I rarely carried a 1911 and knew little about them at that time (1969-70). Fortunately, I never fired either handgun.

1966-1972, I was issued a .45 calibre pistol, model of 1911A1, a web belt and a leather flap holster.

I somewhat enjopyed shooting it at the range, but was a bit less than impressed with either the holster or sidearm as a self defense tool.

Having grown up around handguns in the rural Rocky Mountains, I always suspected there were better choices. I owned a Smith and wesson .357 Magnum which I was required to store in the armory, but was never allowed to carry it on duty.

Fortunately, my men were quite well armed!:D

Back