Duty/Service Pistols: What did you use, how did you like it?

LockedBreech

It seems every firearm enthusiast has a niche. Some love World War 2 rifles, some love bolt rifles, some love classic revolvers.

My passion has always been the duty pistols. Even though these are often less than glamorous polymer pistols dictated by cost and maintenance, I have been interested in the day-to-day sidearm that men and women who serve depend on, or depended on in the past. Revolvers and semis are included in this mix.

It has been a while since we had one of these threads, Whether it was a Glock 22, a Smith & Wesson Model 10, or a Beretta 96, and whether you served as a security guard, police officer, or in the armed forces, and whether you loved or hated the gun and why, post your stories here if you care to.

Last edited:
I was issued and carried a S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolman during most of my 20 years in LE. If I was ever to get back into LE it would be my number one choice, bar none.

The department gave me the revolver when I retired so now it makes one heck of a bowling pin gun with the same LSWCs I carried when I was on the job.

Sidearms...

I've used a few issued & PODA(private owned, dept approved) sidearms.

I've used; a M9 9x19mm/9mmNATO, a S&W model 19 4" barrel .357magnum, a Taurus 82 4" barrel nickeled .38spl, a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm full size, a Rossi .38spl 4" barrel/blue steel, a Ruger GPNY(a NYPD contract revolver in .38spl), a Taurus Protector .357magnum snub.

No 12ga shotguns or 5.56mmNATO M4s or MP5s yet, :D.

ClydeFrog

duty sidearms

Back in the day, the individual parks had a cache of weapons, and you were issued same upon arrival at your current post. In those days, revolvers ruled, typically S&W K-frames. Ammo was the .38 +P+ 110 JHP Treasury load.

First post-Smith Model 15
second-" Model 10
third- " M66
fourth- L-frame, 686 (stainless) and the first issue of 125 mag ammo

Lo and behold, we made the jump to auto pistol. Everybody got a Sig P228 with 147gr JHP ammo initially. A central cache/issue system began at the academy, circa 1995 +/-. As the auto pistol transition progressed, field staff and new staff began to receive the option for a "one time" choice between Sig P220-.45, P226-9mm (and now .40 cal) or P229-.40) A few of the early P228's are still out there, there users preferring not to transition, as well as a smattering of P225 single stack 9mm's for small handed staff. The "one time" issue has been flexible and I've know several rangers who have changed models and caliber mid career. (still Sig as listed above)

Up till about a year ago I carried everyday on the job for roughly 3 years. Once I proved my firearm was reliable and I was more than competent with it they allowed me to carry my personal firearm. A new generation IWI Baby Desert Eagle II. Packed her with 17+1 of Hornady Critical Duty in 135 grain +Ps. Still running strong! These babies are actually known as the Jericho 941 (magnum research decided to throw the words Desert Eagle on there though for marketing and honestly I'm glad they did) and a lot of Israeli armed forces carry it. Once you shoot one its obvious why!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 64
As the gunner on a mortar team I was issued a Colt 1911. Although I had grown up shooting many other handguns, I got really good with this, qualified as expert, and it's my favorite platform. Besides owning a variety of other types of handguns, I have two of these as my home SD guns. On range trips I always take one of them.

Although I think they're too big for everyday CC, if we were allowed to carry in NJ my Glock 19 would be my first choice for EDC.

Began with a S&W 686 around 1986 and went to a Beretta 92 FS around 1990.
Shotgun has always been the Remington 870. Love all three. Still carry the 92FS.

We carried Model 10's in my department back in the 70's. Don't know what they're issued now. I would have rather carried the 28 like some of the other agencies did then but I have two now (that really get pulled out of the safe).

The M&P .45 is used by the local agencies where I now live.

Navy '89 thru '93

1911 - Colt, Ithaca, other various mfr's. Liked it fine - quals and pistol sharpshooter test.

M-9 Beretta.

Purchased a bunch of Beretta OEM magazines for it, and fired it a whopping total of four times the entire time I was down range.

Liked the gun, a good piece, but hated being limited to 9x19mm Hardball.

M1911A1 45 ACP with two spare magazines a canvas magazine pouch, 1M1916 holster and a Web Belt. On Shore Patrol it was white otherwise OD green. I still use the same but the pistol is upgraded to a NM and the ammo pouch is leather. I think I liked it or I wouldn't still be wearing and using the same thing 50 years later.

Back in the day my teeth were cut on a S&W model 10. The front sight was a little crooked but once I figured it out I was knocking out 300's on a regular basis.

After that we went to SIG P226's....loved that one.

USAF Armed Courier.

I was in from 1970 to 1978,,,
My duty weapon was a S&W Model 15.

To this day the Combat Masterpiece is still my favorite handgun.

Aarond

LEO
S&W M66 w/38 spl +P (not issued, had to buy our own, great gun)
GP100 w/38 spl +P (issued, great gun)
Ruger P94 (issued, pretty decent gun)
Glock 22 (issued, great gun)
Sig P229 (issued, mixed feelings, but good gun)
Glock 22 Gen 4 (great gun)

Over the course of 30 years I have carried a variety of duty weapons.

6" Colt Python - first duty weapon and loved it. I successfully completed an NRA Security Firearms Instructors course with it.

4" S&W Model 28-2 - A bit on the heavy side but a great gun none the less.

4" S&W 686 - Great duty weapon just the right heft and balanced perfectly. I carried this most of the time as a private security officer.

S&W 59 - My first semiauto pistol. It was a fine choice and I could outshoot my Beretta 92F with it.

Beretta 92F - Chose this beacuse the local county police switched to it and I planned on applying to them. It is a bit large in the grip area but manageable. Scored high scores on the range with it.

4" S&W Model 10-8 - Perfect sized 38 Special. Qualified 300 on state required course and 280 out of 300 on the course required by the Federal Protective Service /GSA Police.

4" S&W 64 - My last duty weapon as an armed security officer. This particular revolver needed repair that the company did not want to have done. It had a bad timing problem, in rapid fire it would fire 5 rounds instead of 6. It had a worn hand according to a local gunsmith. I only had this weapon for a year before I got another job.

4" S&W 64HB - My first duty weapon as a police officer. Great revolver for our work. It fired as it should 6 for 6.

Beretta 92FS - My current duty weapon. It is a good choice but like all of the 92 series pistols is a hair large in the grip area but manageable. I score a consistant 278-285 out of 300 on the range.

With the exception of the one S&W 64 with a worn hand all my duty weapons served me very well. Even though about half my time I was carrying a 6 shot revolver I never felt out gunned. They did their jobs and got me home at the end of my shifts.

The first was a 4" S&W M15 .38spl as a USAF SP in the early 80s.
Current is a FNP45 Tactical with a Trijicon RMR02 mini red dot sight.
Things have changed a bit over the last 30 years

Back