Duty belts and home defense.

LOL, don't really wear pajamas. (unless boxers count)

My belt is fairly light, I don't know the exact weight, but I don't think it's 9 pounds. I don't have an asp yet, so that cuts down some weight.

It's a pretty basic set up, it's just keyholder, holster, handcuffs, glove pouch, oc spray, double mag pouch, flashlight holder.

I've checked it, and I'm much faster putting on this belt than any vest or shoulder holster I've got, and my paddle holster just doesn't work with my boxers.

No young kids, and everyone in the house has at least basic firearm safety.

Again, I just don't see the need to be putting anything on. If someone breaks into my home in the middle of the night I need my gun and my light and my dogs and I'm ready. I certainly DON'T need to be strapping on a belt, donning a vest or any such thing, that's just wasting time. Hell, why would I want my gun in it's holster?? I want it in my hand in case I need to use it! This idea/desire makes no sense to me.

Last edited:
I agree the pistol in hand is best place for it, and that's where it would stay 99% of the time during a hd situation. But I can forsee multiple situations where having it in your hand wouldn't be practical.

That's where I feel having a holster available for use could be benefitial.

And honestly I am begining to rethink the idea some. It's begining to be more of a grab belt in my off hand while drawing pistol while moving to the stairs rather than putting the belt on.

Really the main purpose of the belt in that case is that my light, cell, mags, and gun are all in one item that I can carry in one hand.

The main issue is I want to have access to light, gun, and phone, but I'm not sure of a good way to manage all 3 items without pockets.

is it really practical, to be awakened out of a sound sleep and be expected to don a vest and gun belt?

Nah, it goes on before going to bed......

My cousin leaves his gun in his duty belt, I would bet tho if someone broke in he would just grab the gun. Now I have a question to bug him with :)

Are you going to be able to use your gun, light and cell all at the same time? Even at the choke point you are vulnerable on the phone.

"Some one is in the house, Honey, call 911." Move to choke point gun and Light in hand.

Once you start on the phone you become distracted and a target. If you have someone to call 911, use them for that. If you don't, don't leave your room until you have called with the door locked, gun in hand.

my $.02

Use of handcuffs or restraints...

The use of handcuffs or restraints etc is a touchy subject and I can see the +/-of both sides.
If you have formal skill training(security, LE, corrections, spec ops-military) you may feel able to detain violent or unstable subjects in your home or on your property. It can be done correctly or safely under the proper conditions.
I'd suggest flexi-cuffs or the ASP type plastic "zip-ties" for a home owner.
They are lightweight but strong and can't really be used as a weapon the way metal or polymer type handcuffs can.
The member posts about practice or plans are good too. As stated before real home invasions or attacks are rapid, dynamic events mostly in low light.
Knowing where your weapon(s), lights, phones etc are and being able to repel violent, aggressive criminals is what's most important.

This thread is silly. I have this image of a homeowner donning vests, helmets and vests because they heard a noise. Not practical.

Yeah donning a tac-vest and helmet to check out a noise is a bit silly. But that's not the original point of this thread. I was asking originally if using a duty belt was practical in a home defense situation.

I've come to the conclusion, that in most cases it would be better just to grab the gun and flashlight, but it could be useful in certain situations to have a belt and holster that could be put on in just a few seconds.

You go with whats best for you!! Dont worry about all the naysayers, it's your bacon you have to protect, if it takes a wheelbarrow!!

+1 for F's remarks...

I agree, when you wake up and hear a loud noise or have a break-in, you need to act quickly. To grab a firearm, white light & cordless/cell phone seems fastest but to don a armored vest or put a utility belt on with gear isn't that big of a reach.
The violent attack/family murder(s) in CT are a good example or the reported "Craigslist" attack where a family selling a jewelry item online turned into a violent home invasion with multiple subjects.

A security plan & the proper gear are what YOU choose.

Clyde

Back