Dumbest gun deal you ever did

Brian Bilby

What was the dumbest trade or gun deal that you ever did?

Mine was trading the Diamondback I mentioned earlier for a Tec-9. I was young and stupid att he time so give me a break.

Dumbest deal I ever got from someone was a guy at a local gunshop who bought a High Standard Victor for $90 off a guy and then turned around and sold it to me for $120 because he didn't know what it was.

Brian

I bought my first AR15 in Hawaii when I was stationed there, a Colt Sporter Match HBAR Blue Label for $700. When I got out of the army, I was looking for a good job and was short on cash, so I asked a friend if he would loan me $450 and hold the rifle as collateral. He did...and then he sold it for $550.
That is the one gun I have sold that I regret.

After I graduated from the university, I bought myself a beautiful Belgian Hi-Power, smooth trigger, walnut grips, etc. About a year later, I saw a Beretta 92F that I had to have. I sold the hi-power ... here's the stupid part ... not because I needed the cash, but simply because I didn't understand that having more than one gun that fires the same cartridge was OK!

Ten years ago I sold a Belgium-made Browning Hi-Power with (3) thirteen round mags and a set of carbide reloading dies for....sigh...$450. I can't talk about it anymore.....

------------------

Cool deals I have made....

1917 Colt Army (new service) revolver $275 at a gun shop (try to DREAM about that price now)

Pedersoli Black powder double barrel shotgun $200 at a gun show, used in excellent condition (now selling for $600 in cabela's)

Springfeild 1903-a3 for $50 from a guy I worked with, he made me the offer because I was buying a crossbow for $25 from him...

Bought a Savage 110b and a 4 power leupold gold ring scope from my brother when he joined the navy for $100, gave it back to him when he got out, I kept the scope but I really should have charged him for the rifle, its still shoots sub moa!!!

hahaha

Dr.Rob

Dumbest - Traded a Browning A-Bolt II composite stalker in .25-06 w/Simmons Aetec scope for a Marlin .30-30 lever gun and old Redfield scope.

Saddest - Hurt my back and was out of work for 21 months. Toward the end, I was living off my guns, er, selling them of course! :) The last two I sold were my Browning Hi-Power Practical model and my custom stainless Colt Commander! Darn It! I really miss both of them! :(

There were several, the Springfield 1911 that was in about 70% of factory I sold at a gunshow for a good price (sound of palm slapping forehead), the pair of Randall 1911A1's (a right and a left) with matching holsters, magazine pouches and belt (sound of palm SLAPPING forehead) and the Colt SAA 4 3/4" second generation in .357 magnum that had ideal ball leede and shot right where I pointed it (sounds of me beating my head against the wall.)

Good deals I fell into. A 1917 Savage .380 as new, the 1917 Efert artillery "Luger" with snail drum magazine, the "Liberator" flare projector, the military 1911 Colt along with the issue web belt, magazine pouch etc as well as photographs of the medical officer that was issued the rig in WWI.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

[This message has been edited by Jim V (edited December 21, 1999).]

My wife had a bad pregnancy and couldn't work, so I had to sell most of my guns to pay the bills. I sold a Glock 17 with 5 hi-cap mags, a S&W M66, a Taurus 605, a Winchester 1300, a Keltec P11, a Marlin 336, and an SKS. I got good money for all, and I have a perfect baby boy, but man I miss my guns :( I wouldn't call them dumb deals, but definetaly sad. At least I get to buy more now :)

Brian-The dumbest transaction I ever had was very much in my favor. I worked 3 jobs at the time. This one happened to be at a deli. One of the ladies that worked there suddenly decided to sell off all of her father's and uncle's guns. She said that I was the only one she knew that she trusted with firearms and would only sell them to me. I looked at her battery and told her that I didn't have any money to give her for the guns. She said she would take anything. I told her that all I could muster was $200, the money I had saved up to buy a car, for everything and pleaded with her that I would sell them at a gun show for her with no commission. She refused and I gave her $200. I got 2 handguns, 1 shotgun, and 4 rifles. One of the rifles was a pre-war Winchester Model 70 in 270 with iron sights in mint condition. It had the original stock in mint condition and a gorgeous custom birdseye maple stock that had a couple of dings in it. I sold that rifle the next weekend at a gun show for $1700. I also bought a car that weekend. Dumb luck!

This is utterly beyond stupid, and I deserved to be hazed and embarrassed for this. I was about 19 or 20, and I wanted a pistol very badly at that time, so I traded a S&W Model 3000 Riot 12 guage pump shotgun with folding stock and rifled barrel (good condition), AND an RWS model 45 .177 air rifle (very good condition), AND $50.00 boot money, in exchange for a Llama 9mm 1911 style pistol (good condition). So, in retrospect, I traded about $500.00 value for about $200.00 value - double Doh! I was yound and ignorant and didn't know values - I bought the guy's line that the Llama pistol was one awesome, well-made gun, made in Spain and everything....you get the picture.

Dumbest one I ever did was selling off my matched serial number set of Colt Python and Diamondback revolvers to make it through my undergraduate days. I kick myself everytime I think of it. I also had to sell off my High Power (one with a really good trigger) at the same time and my accurized md 94 winchester (won a lot of turkeys with that old 30/30). (But I did graduate with Honors and find a wife, so it was not all that bad.)

Second dumbest event was during grad school, I bought an Automag in unfired condition. To this day still have not fired it, but I have always wondered what shooting it would be like. Some may say that was a good deal, but how many poeple can afford to pay what a 44AMP in the box with original shipping materials in unfired condition is worth today. Not many. Got the gun, can't shoot it, stupid idea.

Lesson learned: "Never sell a gun, only collect!"

pete
ps: I hope I never do a 3rd dumbest thing ever.

I actually bought a Century Arms G3. It was such a piece of crap that I took it back the next day and lost about a hundred bucks on tax and licensing.

Brian, that wasn't stupid for the TEC. It's just a cool gun to have as a CI.

I traded my H&K usp compact .40 for a Cobray M-11.

It was a well thought out deal. I wanted an M-11 and I didn't like the USP.

------------------
Go get me my gun, it's the one that says "Bad MOTHERF****R"

First was a S&W model 36 with 3 inch barrel that I sold to a police friend for $110 (about 25 years ago) I didn't want to sell it but he talked me into it. When he finally paid it off, he sold the damn thing, and not to me.

Then there was the Winchester Model 61 in 98%, that had less than 200 rounds fired through it, that I sold for $250. The sad part was that it belonged to my late uncle.

Then just a few years ago I sold a Colt Government model in 9mm for $250 to a freind. Damn I liked that gun...I got him back though... I bought an UZI from him for $600 just before they became politically incorrect.

I'm still kicking myself for this one: I used to own an H & K 91. I paid about $600 for it new, sold it for $450. Now they are going for around 2 grand. Who knew?

[This message has been edited by PoiDog (edited December 21, 1999).]

I had a really nice Steyr GB that I paid $400 for and sold for $350. Wish I had it back now. It was a great shooter. Seem to be going for $600 -$ 700 at the gun shows now.

------------------
Knee deep in brass, still shootin fast!

WWII Mauser. Nazi stamps all over it - EXCELENT CONDITION - Sold it for 200 bucks because I could find ammo for it AT THE TIME.
I was what 16?

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

The dumbest I did was sell a mint Belgin Baby Browning in it's origional Browning pouch, with all papers to my brother for $10.00.
The best deal I ever got was buying a Benelli Montefeltro brand new for $139.00 from a gun shop yet. This larger distributor used to buy out small shops and liquidate the merchandise from it's Cleveland outlet. I saw 2 semi auto 12 gauge shotguns that I had never seen before. I went to the book dept in the same store, and looked them up in the gun digest. They were listed for around $400 then (late 70s if I recall correctly) I went back to work and got a co worker and we bought both of them.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

Sold a Chinese 5.56mm AK-47 on a Thursday for $150 cash (I had $175 invested in it). The weapon was unfired, in the box, with all accessories (4 x 30 rd mags, sling, bayonet, oiler, cleaning kit, and 150 rds of 7.62 x 39 to boot...). At the time, AKs were readily available and cheap. I needed "party money" for an out of town trip and figured that I would just pick up another AK after payday. Why not? I´d already owned, sold, or traded for 5 or 6 over the past few months. That weekend was when an AK armed nut massacred children in a schoolyard in Stockton(?), California. By the time I returned home (Sunday evening), the asking price for a semi-auto AK in the Atlanta area was $1200; by Monday AM, $1500. That psycho should have been slow roasted over an open fire for perpetrating such a tragedy...but I wish I had held onto that weapon.

this was almost 10 years ago:

Bought a NIB P228, never got a chance to shoot it, then a month or so later sold it to a dealer at a major loss because I needed the money to pay bills and such.

------------------
Stay cloze to ze candles, ze staircase (dramatic pause) . . . can be trecherous.

Back