dumb sighting in question

I've had several sub-MOA rifles be dead-on at 25 yards and for some unknown reason be two or three inches to the side at 100 yards. Not always, but often enough that 25 yards is merely to ensure being on the paper at 100.

Vertical dispersion of shots is (mostly) due to variations in muzzle velocity or inconsistency in distance, or range estimation err. Horizontal shot dispersion is almost entirely due to wind (or a hardware issue).

Keep in mind anything that happens at 25yds will be EIGHT TIMES GREATER AT 200yds! Hence the reason a rifle should actually be tested at said range.

If the 25yd five shot group is so tight you need calipers to measure it then you will be fine. I'll do some simple math for everyone. 1/4 group at 25yds= 2" group at 200. 3/8in group = 3 in at 200 1/2 in group = 4in at 200yds.

All well within the vital area of a large game animal.

But as everyone keeps repeating, actually test your shots at the distance you plan on shooting.

If you are going to shoot at 100 yards, sight it in at 100 yards. A 25 yard sight-in isn't always going to be indicative of what group you'll get at 100. I've seen that too many times with rifles. It ought to print well at 100, but it doesn't. Why? Well I guess we can discuss it forever, but back to the point that matters. Sight it in for a 100 if you are going to shoot at 100.

Of course, you don't have to listen to me (and some of the others), but remember this when the big buck runs off. We told ya....

i always have sighted in at 100,i dont know if i will join another rifle this year after moving last spring.i shot 2" groups @100

i might sight in at 50 in the woods.i hunt deep cover.i love that pucker brush

Here's a chart from Remington:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/Outdoors/resource/remington_charts/65x55sbal.htm

Assuming you're using a scope mounted 1.5" above bore. For short-range, you can sight in 1/10" low at 50 yards and should be close to zero at 100 and 1 1/2" low at 50.

If you're using iron sights mounted about 3/4"-1" above bore and sight-in about 1/10" low at 50, you'll be lower than zero at 100, but probably not more than an inch.

Why people say not to sight-in at 25 yards is not only because a minor difference in position at that distance will be magnified at the longer distance, but bullets, because they're rotating, actually travel in a relatively tight spiral that tends to get smaller with distance, since bullets often stabilize as velocity drops. (However, for deer hunting at 100 yards or less, especially with iron sights, you don't need to worry much about spiral.)

ok.thank you everyone for the great advice.i will consider all of this upcoming fall.
i think this thread can though.
you guys were very helpfull

You're welcome green_mtman. It seems that we don't get much feedback from most people. We often don't even know whether they got the advice.

Back