Dumb Laws - F&G this time in CA

Well, unfortunately, facts get in the way here, just as there was no dispute about the effect of lead shot on waterfowl a couple of decades ago. So, now we use steel shot.

Judging from responses here, there is no downside to using copper bullets in the field to hunt in condor areas, so maybe this isn't such a big deal.

I'm sure the bullet manufactures will provide a solution to no lead bullets at just a slightly higher cost and profit margin.

Compare scrap prices for lead and steel. Then compare scrap prices for lead and copper, and tell me that it's the same thing. Copper bullets are going to cost significantly more.

If condors are dying from eating gut piles that contain lead I can see restricting the use of lead for hunting. Hopefully, this doesn't take the slippery slope of restricting lead for other purposes.

MedicineBow

Anyway, I'd be interested in compiling a list of the upsides/downsides of having to use copper bullets in the field, from the hunter's point of view.

I was told that because nobody was making green rimfire ammo, you could use lead bullets on game animals, but no target practice or non-game varmints. So I could shoot a tree squirrel, but couldn't shoot a ground squirrel.

BTW, CCI is now making non-lead 22WMR.

Back