Dumb ammo question re: .45

This is just my personal opinion, so please do not accept it as "expertise,"

I will not trust a defensive pistol until it has fired 200 consecutive rounds of the ammo which I plan to carry in it without any type of malfunction.

That is my personal "break in."

45 Auto is the official caliber name.

45 ACP is the Colt trademarked name.

Same ammo.

Break in length is kind of your choice. Break in is wearing of small burrs or cutting marks to smooth or to the point there is enough bearing surface to support th load. The number of rounds required depends on the quality of manufacture.

There are tons of 1911 mags. Before you start spending $50 each for magic mags, ask yourself why you need them. A nice ~$10-15 Springfield mag which holds 7rds, wadcutter lips and the dimple is a pretty good mag which matches the modern 1911 design. If you are not feeding well with this kind of mags, mag replacement is wishful thinking. A gunsmith can help with the issue. Checkmate makes a few versions of this style mag and are good also.

Wilson mags work, but are more spring sensitive.....probably due to lack of a speedbump on the follower.

I don't see how polishing your feed ramp is going to make it a pos?
There is are subtle angles on the feed ramp and the space between the feed ramp and the barrel that have to be maintained. Also, there may not be any need (gun most likely will work fine as is), to polish the ramp except that some people cannot bring themselves to leave things alone and/or like the aesthetics of a polished ramp. If it functions and there is no indication that there is a problem, you risk (does not always happen), inducing malfunctions that were not there before.

Just try some HPs & see if they'll function.
Make it simple.
If they do, no need to mess with the ramp.
If they don't, hand polishing the ramp will probably not accomplish a thing.
The danger in polishing by those who don't understand the design lies in altering angles, as Dahermit says.

The problem, IF JHPs don't cycle, may be in throating or magazines.
Denis

500 rounds through a Para is about right. After this many rounds....if you're lucky, it's probably broken and you should just throw it away.

Dan-O said:
500 rounds through a Para is about right. After this many rounds....if you're lucky, it's probably broken and you should just throw it away.
And this gem of wisdom is based on ___?

Over the past fifteen years I have owned several Para pistols, both single stack and double stack. Both my primary competition pistol and my backup are Para double stacks. One of the pistols in my daily carry rotation is a Para. The only one of the various Para pistols that was not 100 percent reliable (over a lot more than 500 rounds) was a P13.45 that I bought used from a small gunshop near my home. The shop has a good reputation locally, so when the owner told me the gun was unfired I was willing to accept that as truth.

And it may (or may not) have been true. However, he did NOT tell me that the pistol had been modified. I didn't find that out until I discovered I had purchased a jam-o-matic. It was bad enough that I wasn't able to fix it myself, so I turned it over to a professional gunsmith who specializes in 1911s, and Para 1911s in particular. His report was that none of the internal fire control parts were factory Para parts. He replaced several parts, did some tuning, and gave it back. His efforts moved the gun from perhaps 20 percent reliable to maybe 80 percent. I then studied more closely exactly what was happening, and I was able to finally cure the problems with a bit of massaging of the slide stop (which was one of the non-Para parts).

IMHO there's nothing wrong with Para pistols. They make some very fine 1911s.

Purchased a ParaCarry 9 a few years back that was good for about 500 rounds and then it became a jam-o-matic. It made two trips back to Para and could never get it to run properly.

I gave up on it as I didn't have time to deal with it anymore.

Back