Dual State Residency - can I ship to myself

The airlines I fly truly treats you like a terrorist if you travel with a handgun in checked baggage,
What airline is that, if you don't mind? I travel all the time with checked handguns, on a few different airlines, I've never has a problem or an attitude in twenty years of it.

I think the brand of airline has very little to do with it....

the two times I flew and had to check in a firearm the attendant at the ticket counter / check in just called airport security (TSA) and they are the ones that deal with the firearm.

when flying out from my hometown the TSA agent inspected the firearm and container...

when flying back from Reno I got ready to show them and the guy didn't even want to look... now down the conveyer belt who knows what they did. Don't think the lock you put on the case means anything to the TSA, I think they can open any type of lock you put on.

You get to Florida yet Gator?

Don't think the lock you put on the case means anything to the TSA, I think they can open any type of lock you put on.

From TSA's website:
# You must declare all firearms to the airline during the ticket counter check-in process.
# The firearm must be unloaded.
# The firearm must be in a hard-sided container.
# The container must be locked. A locked container is defined as one that completely secures the firearm from access by anyone other than you. Cases that can be pulled open with little effort do not meet this criterion. The pictures provided here illustrate the difference between a properly packaged and an improperly packaged firearm.
# We recommend that you provide the key or combination to the security officer if he or she needs to open the container. You should remain present during screening to take the key back after the container is cleared. If you are not present and the security officer must open the container, we or the airline will make a reasonable attempt to contact you. If we can't contact you, the container will not be placed on the plane. Federal regulations prohibit unlocked gun cases (or cases with broken locks) on aircraft. TSA locks are not approved for securing firearms.

Emphasis added.

Shouldn't that mean that TSA wouldn't have access to the contents of your gun case after you close and lock it?

I don't have a lot of experience with it, but the time I flew

to Reno the TSA agent taped/secured the firearm declaration card to the outside of my locked carry case (lock was a basic master lock, not TSA keyed) when I got to my hotel in Reno and opened my luggage and carry case the firearm declaration tag was inside the case.

Also, my checked luggage bag with the cased gun had one of those new fangled TSA locks that has a red flag indicator to show if someone has unlocked the lock other than you... the flag was not showing... but I had one of those "for your protection your luggage has been inspected by the TSA" inside.

My son flew with his 1911 last month

S&W. Washington to Arizona. Gun in case, case locked. He was there, declared gun, remained available while TSA arrived, opened case, yada, yada, locked it when they were through. Case went into his luggage. Arrived Tuscon, no trouble.

If you are not there, they will cut your lock, then they will not put your gun on the plane (because they cut the lock), so be there when you check it in, and stay there until they are all done. Then lock it, and keep the key.

Yes, its a hassle, but you can still do it, and be legal.

Yes it is legal to ship a firearm to oneself... however it is against the policy of ALL common carriers to do so... all require at least one party to have an FFL. If you lie your firearm will not be covered by insurance...plus of course there are legal ramifications for not notifying the common carrier...

GringoGrande said:
voting. Yep, you got it, I can vote twice legally, I even had my lawyer look into this particular aspect.
That may be true for state and local elections, but for federal elections, even off-year congressional elections, I don't think so.

If you have voted twice in any federal election, I would suggest you not mention dual voting ever again, even as a theoretical possibility, to anyone. However I'm curious as to just what your lawyer's advice was regarding elections, whether he or she made the distinction between federal elections and state/local elections, and whether he or she was licensed to appear before federal courts, and whether he or she regularly deals with issues of federal law... not to mention whether he or she is licensed to practice law in both your states of residency.

Back