Dry firing a percussion pistol

In a properly set up percussion revolver, the hammer will never touch the nipples. You should be able to insert a narrow strip of printer paper between the hammer and nipple, hold the hammer forward hard, and easily remove the paper.

Jim

In a properly set up percussion revolver, the hammer will never touch the nipples.

James, I agree. Sorta. :confused: But, I am also glad you qualified in the next sentence by saying "should". Not "does".
It really is very-very rare when any percussion firearm is so exactly set up. In fact some top builders claim this is not really a proper set-up. They say the stress on the tumbler is so great the lock will fail in time. They claim it is better to allow the hammer to be stopped by the nipple.
Personally, that is the approach I subscribe to.
Meaning, don't risk a good nipple with dry fire.

It's nuts reading someone (Doc) post about the Webster flea market on a international message board, just strange. Doc, you had to practically drive right by my house to get there. Wow, it's a small world isn't it? Somehow or other, we are going to have to meet up. :)

OJW

I come to University Campus once per month.

We need to get Bill Akin involved as well. He lives in Hudson.

Doc, not sure the universe could take getting you two guys in the same room at the same time, might be one of those Star Trek time/space continuum energy warp things-and the whole place go up. :p

Naw just jokin', that would be awesome. Two years ago, I met one of our members in Lakeland, small world.

Back