DRY FIRE

I would be careful of dry firing older 22 rimfires. You could damage the chamber where the rim seats.

I don't have any older guns. The guns from my childhood burned up in a fire. I have kept an eye on the ones I have now and so far so good.

dry firing

If someone wants me to explain, call me, i did leave my number but I will leave it again. 978-424-7024 . BTW All my students when they leave know not to dry fire a firearm. :) Cliff

If someone wants me to explain, call me, i did leave my number but I will leave it again. 978-424-7024 . BTW All my students when they leave know not to dry fire a firearm. Cliff

This is a forum. If you have information you can post it here - nobody wants to call you especially when you can simply post it here for EVERYONE to see. All the research I have done along with hands on experience (which is worth ten times more then something you read) has showed that dry firing centerfires is safe and will not cause any harm. Rimfires are somewhat of a different story but they are not in question here. Please - prove us wrong.

This is a forum. If you have information you can post it here - nobody wants to call you

I hope you are not speaking for me. I was planning on calling. Nothing wrong with a good old fashion telephone.

I've been dry firing center fire firearms (rifles and handguns) for 35 years and never known it to hurt a thing. In the Canadian forces dry firing (HiPowers and FN-FALs) was a standard training technique and was used a lot, especially with novice shooters prior to their first trip to the range line.

There are old US forces training videos online with scenes of soldiers routinely dry firing Garands as a training aid.

Dry firing

No need for anyone to get upset. I do not dry fire any of my rifles,pistols or shotguns. If someone wants to fine,be my guest. If you do not want to call that works for me. I do not do text,and I am not a prolific writer. So I wish all of you a great Labor Day Weekend and maybe we can all agree to vote against oslama... I mean Obama. :) Cliff

I can speak for an old Marlin/Glenfield model 25 .22 doesn't hurt it to dry fire it.

A bow is one you don't want to dry fire.

If you do not want to call that works for me.

Don't want to call cause you don't have anything to say. Since you don't dry fire you have no experience. Probably just taught that as a kid and took it as gospel.;)

No need for anyone to get upset. I do not dry fire any of my rifles,pistols or shotguns. If someone wants to fine,be my guest. If you do not want to call that works for me. I do not do text,and I am not a prolific writer. So I wish all of you a great Labor Day Weekend and maybe we can all agree to vote against oslama... I mean Obama. Cliff

Mr.t7024, don't think people are upset. But you post a categorical statement in all caps, with no explanation to substantiate why you say that, and given it flies completely in the face of a lot of people's own personal and professional experience with firearms, and people obviously wonder why you say that?

CZ .22's

CZ state in their own literature that it is safe to dry fire their .22 rifles. I have no hesitation in doing this, though I have come across people who had out of spec firing pins; ie firing pins that protrude past the bolt shoulder. This is a QC error at factory, but it serves to illustrate that it bears gauging your firing pins to ensure that they do not pass the bolt shoulder - the result of which in the case of dry firing would be undue wear, peening or worse.

The answer to CZ's position on dry firing their Rimfires lies in the above paragraph. From factory, and if correct, the CZ-452 firing pin when extended should remain below the bolt shoulder. The bolt shoulder encloses around the outside of the base of the casing and the shoulder itself meets the chamber face. The base of the case then sits slightly inside the bolt face where the firing pin strikes the primer - this is why the firing pin doesn't hit the chamber face.

I checked mine, and it is within spec and well below the shoulder. This should mean that I am fine to dry fire my .22 all day long, if I want to, without any due wear.

Tiki.

My shooting buddy and I dry fire our rifles, rimfire and centre fire all the time, have never had a problem and nothings ever gone wrong.

The local gun store lets you dry fire their rifles, so they must have hundreds of people dry fire hundreds of rifles and can't have had a problem as they continue to let you do it.

The funny thing about the dry firing ( Rimfire ) debate is . I think common sense tells us the potential is there for damage . A small thin piece of metal slamming in to a solid wall of steel that is equal or harder then it:eek: , Over ond over again has to cause damage at some point. so why do it . :confused:

Last edited:
Mr.t7024, don't think people are upset. But you post a categorical statement in all caps, with no explanation to substantiate why you say that, and given it flies completely in the face of a lot of people's own personal and professional experience with firearms, and people obviously wonder why you say that?

You nailed it. Nobody is getting "upset" over a firearms discussion especially one as simple as this one.

I'm not trying to scorch him but Mr.T posts something that goes against years of experience and even what the manufacturers of the firearms say with nothing to back it up. Then he proceeds to dodge the questions being asked by saying "Have a great day guys have a great weekend" It is this kind of stuff that misleads and confuses the OP. We are here to share information and help each other on this forum - that is why we take the time out of our days to ask and answer peoples questions. By calling someone (would never even post my work cell # on the internet but to each his own) you are just telling one person without posting it for all to see and to learn or dispute with counter facts.

dry fire

I have been shooting for 54 years.I have replaced firing pins on two Marlin Model 60's and for others who rifles were center fire, all because they were dry fired. Shooting for 54 years gives me some experience...

I do give out my # because I want to. I enjoy talking to others who enjoy the shooting sports, that even includes those who disagree with me...!

Have a great day,

Cliff

In the users guide for Ruger SA Ruger reccomends dry firing the weapon to get used to it. I have been dry firing a SBH for over 30 years. It has never given me a moments trouble.

Back