DRY FIRE

madhat

is it alright to dry fire my new Browning A bolt II, i'm not talking hundreds of times but just 50 or so to feel how the adjusted weight feels when i adjust the weight of the trigger, i'm 100% sure the rifle is unloaded and safe to discharge

dry firing

DO NOT DRY FIRE ANY FIREARMS. thats why they sell snap caps. CENTER FIRE SNAP CAPS ALONG WITH RIMFIRE SNAP CAPS WILL SAVE YOU TIME AND MONEY. Call me if you have any questions-978-424-7024.:)
Clifford B. Tomassian
Firearms Instructor in MA

I pull out my hunting rifle in the couple weeks before the season to re-acquaint myself with the trigger.
I didn't use snap caps for several years and there was no loss of function. I use a spent cartridge nowadays, but small scale dryfiring should be okay until you can use something with some resistance.

I wouldn't do that with a rimfire rifle. I don't have a 10/22, but if the manual of that says it's okay, then go for it with a 10/22

With rimfires days gone buy, the firing pin could damage the chamber, and the pin if chronically dry fired. The only time I witnessed a firing pin break was a when a friend dry fired a Ithaca 37 featherweight and the end cracked off.

DO NOT DRY FIRE ANY FIREARMS. thats why they sell snap caps.

Funny, your a firearms instructor that says DO NOT DRY FIRE then recommend snap caps. Ive spoken to AND read other instructors that recommend AGAINST snap caps because "It builds a bad habit". It builds a bad habit because your "loading" the weapon with an object resembling a cartridge and then pulling the trigger. Students in classes had NDed (Neglegant Discharged) their weapons thinking they put in their snap caps then...BOOM! Oops, wasnt a snap cap. Heard of it many times! My advice to ALL: Ask the COMPANY before dry firing and always clear your weapon... heck clear it twice. Wont hurt a thing. Its a good habit to form. lastly, If you make the decision to dry fire, discharge in a safe direction. (I know some of you out there are saying duh, but NDs still happen...even to squared away soldiers and instructors) On a final note, I PRACTICE what I preach, I do not reccomend stuff because it sounds good. I clear one or more weapons a day at my current job... and I wont use snap caps.

Last edited:
"It builds a bad habit". It builds a bad habit because your "loading" the weapon with an object resembling a cartridge and then pulling the trigger.

I never even considered this, though there may be merit to it. I have one nine mm dummy round that is burgandy red. If I end up blowing a hole through my tv, then I will know your advise was good.

DO NOT DRY FIRE ANY FIREARMS. thats why they sell snap caps. CENTER FIRE SNAP CAPS ALONG WITH RIMFIRE SNAP CAPS WILL SAVE YOU TIME AND MONEY.

Please explain - without anything to back it up it means absolutely nothing.

Last edited:
Most center fires can be dry fired safely with only a few exceptions. Check with the manufacturer or someone with a lot of experience with the particular firearm. And if your firearm could be damaged by dry firing, making your own snap caps ain't rocket science. Pop out primer with a small punch (or depriming die) and replace spent primer with a piece of pencil eraser shaped to fit with a razor blade. Five minutes max. And free.

I dry fire everything, including .22. Hasn't hurt anything yet. Thousands of times at that. If it wears out I'll replace it.

I dry fire everything, including .22. Hasn't hurt anything yet. Thousands of times at that. If it wears out I'll replace it.

I would be careful of dry firing older 22 rimfires. You could damage the chamber where the rim seats.

My Ruger 22/45 manual sez it's OK. You gotta pull the trigger to get the thing back together........ there's a firing pin stop to keep the firing pin from contacting the breech face.......

Rugers web site states in there Q&A ,you can dry fire All of there fire arms including there rimfires . They recommend not doing it alot cus you will wear out the stop and have to replace the firing pin.

As for other guns refer to the manual

My savge mk11 should not be dry fired . Its a new gun for me and I have only shot it once . I already have dry fired it at least 10 times .A couple times when I got it home the rest at the range when I lost count of how many shots I had shot . At this rate I think im in trouble . What I learned was if you have the trigger depressed when closing the bolt ( it goes BOOM ) no just kidding :D It de-cocks it . My ruger American Rifle does the same thing . Maybe all bolt actions do this. I only have the two .

HUMM now that I think about it, maybe pulling the trigger when closing the bolt is bad for the gun . Does any body know if by doing so it puts any un due presures or torque on things that normaly they would not have .

Last edited:
Back