Dry Fire training tools

Cool. Air guns seem like a great training tool.

I just got a LaserLyte system last week that I'm playing with now. Seems like a good tool too.

Just a couple notes regarding airguns.

1st you can make a really good backstop with an old electrical junction box and some duct seal. It will be heavy but will stop anything you throw at it.

2nd be aware that airguns that are spring powered are a totally different beast then firearms and require a completely different skill set to shoot accurately. If you try to apply firearm disciplines to them you will likely be frustrated, whether rifle or pistol. What they WILL teach you is trigger control, follow through and consistency. These skills will obviously carry over to firearms.

3rd C02 or PCP or SSP airguns can provide a more firearm like experience. Many C02 replicas will even work the slide. Be aware, however, these are WAY LOUDER then you might think they will be. Also I find C02 guns typically have horrendous triggers and accuracy that is sub par. PCP and SSP type guns usually are much much more accurate but lose out on the reality.

4th Airsoft actually does a good job of replicating firearms and can be a great drawn and fire/gun handling/shoot on the move type training tool. They are not generally all that accurate, although good ones are more accurate then you would think.

Just a little food for thought. Enjoy and BE SAFE.

Chris

It's my opinion, then, that things like laser lights that take your visual awareness away from the front sight during the shot process are actually counterproductive (same reason I don't recommend ShootNC targets at the range).
That's an excellent point. A laser by itself is only one part of a solution. You also need an electronic target or software with a camera to 'see' and tally your shots so you can use proper fundamental techniques. (see more about that in this thread)

Training to look for a laser dot is not good training.

As far as shootNCs, they also have their place. I never use them at close range like 15 yards, but I will use them with an AR15 at 50y or 100y where I can't see a .22 hole in paper even with my spotting scope. They are most helpful as zeroing targets, especially the very large ones. I never did have very good vision and they save me a lot of eye strain.

They distract shooters by tempting them to peek at the target between shots, which is a bad habit and a real accuracy killer.
That's a training issue, not a tool issue. Plinking can have that issue too. They need to learn "don't do that" and use proper follow through like we all did. In fact the distraction by laser trainers or ShootNC targets may even be beneficial. If a new shooter can overcome the distraction and continue to focus on the front sight all the way through a shooting session despite the temptation to look over the sights, then they may find themselves "in the zone" and fully "get it".

Last edited:
"...feedback on each shot..." Dry firing isn't about any shot. It's practice/training for breathing, sight picture and trigger control. No high priced 'tools' required. A door knob at the end of a hallway is handy though. Door knobs make good aiming points.
"...breaking my wrist..." Dry firing won't tell you that. Breaking the wrist is recoil related.
The Mantis X can be used with live fire. IMO, that's the real benefit to that tool. You can log data from your actual shooting and diagnose your technique with actual recoil.

I use my dry fire practice to make the basics "automatic". Breathing, sight alignment, target acquisition, trigger pull, and follow through. I also recognize that it erases any tendency to flinch. It allows you to pull the trigger without the noise and recoil of shooting an actual bullet. It teaches the muscles that they can stay relaxed. That is a big thing when it comes to accuracy and consistency.

Back