Drawing in self defense, BUGs and extra ammo...

Have you ever needed one gun, BUG, and/or extra ammo in self defense?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was home alone one night and happened to be cleaning my Colt Official Police .38. I was in my room when I heard a slight "clang clung." I dismissed it as being one of the cats playing around in the house somewhere, but a split second later remembered that the cats WERE NOT HERE. Having the cylinder of the revolver open I grabbed a speedloader from the bag, dropped 6 into the cylinder, went up front, started popping on lights as I went to the front of the house, toggled the front door knobb and realized THAT WAS WHAT I HEARD, somebody had toggled the front door knob. I unlocked and opened the door and went outside and walked around the house with my gun and found nothing. I assumed I had heard things, or that nothing was wrong and went back in. I found out later that even though nothing came of it at all, I should have notified the Constable just to let them know that there might very well be somebody prowling around the neighborhood.

Every now and then the outside sensor will turn the outside light on detecting movement (it's not supposed to pick up anything smaller than a cat) on a NONwindy night or we will hear a funny noise outside and I will step out with gun in hand to look in the driveway.

I typically keep my holster on the table beside me while watching TV or hanging on the bedpost next to me at night. It can sit in that holster from now to the end of time and it won't hurt or inconvinience anyone (no we don't have children), but it is there if I ever need it.

I'm just a guy who collects nice old revolvers and a few autos. Never had to use them against anyone.

I voted never had to use weapon, but I did have a road rage nutbag car in front of me once who decided to get out of his car at a stoplight and charge towards me with a stick bat or something...

I had my window part way down, shouted "Stop where you are and do not proceed further" and held my gun up still in it's holster pointing down..He then returned to his vehicle and sped onward...

I don't want to ever get in trouble here for "brandishing" a weapon, so I try to keep in the holster pointing downward until absolutely necessary...That's the reason I also use an opne holster that can be fired thru if necessary...

BTW, Doug, this is only advice based on reading, but you could have broken at least 3 laws by leaving your house to investigate and potentially shoot the perp...In most places it's ONLY a legal defense argument if the perp enters your home...Questions to be asked would be, "Was the guy\girl intoxicated and tried to enter the wrong house?", "Was he\she someone dropping of newsletters or ad's to hang on peoples door handles" etc....What if it were 5 guys who trying to break and enter, you'd be safer in doors.....

I've had my garage door "clunked" in the middle of the night..I called the PD immediatly, because there is no way I would risk myself or family by putting us in that situation...Now if they DO enter the house, that leaves us no choice but to "present" and use if necessary any form of defense...

Off my podium now, I just wanted to bring up some points to be on the "legal" safe side....

Back