Dragged back, kicking and screaming

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
OK, so I can't stay away. I... have a problem... (sob) I'm addicted to TFL. :)
----------
Last night's meeting of the Pikes Peak Firearms Coalition was rather informative. Sheriff John Anderson was the featured speaker.

He said, "There have been 3,465 concealed weapons permits issued in El Paso County in the last four-and-a-half year. There have been NO abuses." (applause from the peanut gallery).

He said, "I support raising the age for firearms ownership to 21." At which point he got smacked down by the PPFC president, Paul Paradis, and a 20-year-old who is the treasurer of the Libertarian Party of El Paso County. The kid said, "So, Sheriff, because SOME people in my age group misuse firearms, you think I'M not responsible enough to own a gun for my own protection?" Kid got a standing O.

Sheriff also said he supports the destruction of firearms used in crimes, and got all choky-voiced and teary-eyed, saying he couldn't live with himself if he turned a "crime gun" back out on the streets and someone else got killed with it. Ka-BOOM! Paul lit into him, saying he was "talking out of both sides of [Anderson's] mouth. A few minutes ago, you said, 'Guns aren't the problem,' and now you're saying they are! Which is it?!"

Sheriff slunk out of the meeting like a whipped dog. I have a feeling he's gonna have some tall apologizing to do over the next few days.
----------
Going back to the muggerlovers thread, Dr Arthur Kellermann (yes, THAT Kellermann) is coming to town on 14 October and addressing the bannits. WELL. That date just happens to be the date of the next PPFC meeting. We're moving the meeting from the usual location (a VFW post) to Centennial Hall, where the illustrious (ahem) Dr Kellermann will be spewing his lies. We'll all be wearing PPFC shirts, hats, stickers, gun apparel (no BDUs, sorry), and making a rather strong statement. All Colorado Springs-area TFLers, please plan on attending. You don't need to be a PPFC member to hang out, but since membership is only $15/year, you might consider joining. The meeting will be at 6 pm, Centennial Hall (Cascade Ave between Pikes Peak and Colorado Aves.)
----------
The editorial cartoonist for the Gazette, Chuck Asay, drew this cartoon a couple of weeks ago:

asay2.gif

Chuck's syndicate has given PPFC permission to reproduce it on billboards. One will be in downtown C-Springs, the other will be near the Lincoln I-25 offramp in Denver, where the state legislators have to drive by it twice a day. So far, we've raised over half of the estimated $2000 needed to print and run it for 3 months.
----------
And the big one: on 2 October, the El Paso County branch of the Libertarian Party is having their annual awards banquet. This year's guest speaker is Vin Suprynowicz (the Vindicator coming to my town! Woohoo!). Anyone who wants to attend, email me for info.
----------
Finally, I want to thank everyone who refrained from throwing e-tomatoes at me in my last post. You folks are the reason I came back (yes, even Fubsy ;)). Intelligent conversation, even with people I've never met IRL, is at a premium these days, and the members of TFL are always willing to provide it.

No hugs! Grrrr! Step back! :)

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

Coinneach, it is great to see you back in the saddle again! Damn, we missed you.

Nice cartoon, too.

Warm regards from AZ. Don't leave again - intelligent conversation is too hard to round up these days, don't ya know. ;)

Well, it isn't mine to give ;), but you can ask the man himself. His address is asay@gazette.com.

------------------
--Jeff Cooper

Glad to have ya back!

now i have a question for ya...

will you stand with me in DC?

[This message has been edited by dZ (edited September 10, 1999).]

dz, I wish I could. However, $2000 r/t airfare just isn't doable (yes, I've already checked), and I don't trust my truck to get me there and back.

Correction: Delta says $481. But (and it's a big one), I go nowhere unarmed, so planes are out. Shame, as I love to fly, and the drive is looking like 24 hours straight through.

After juggling some numbers, it looks like I can make it, as long as there's a cheap motel in DC that doesn't require plastic (hourly rates not necessary ;).
------------------
--Jeff Cooper

[This message has been edited by Coinneach (edited September 10, 1999).]

Coinneach,

A hearty "welcome back" to you and a manly slap on the back. (no hugs or fanny pats) ;)

Looking forward to reading your rants again!

------------------
RKBA!

"A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you." - Ramsay Clark

"Rights are liable to be perverted to wrongs when we are incapable of rightly exercising them." - Sarah Josepha Hale

Hey, it's a red-letter day!

Coinneach is back and rabbit assassin has been restored!

Instead of the group hug, can we just tap a keg (Sam Adams, preferably)?

------------------
Beginner barbarians probably had the idea that every house they broke into would be full of untouched loot and frightened, unarmed victims. It just doesn't work that way, my friend.

I hope these evil men come to understand our peaceful ways soon - My trigger finger is blistering!

Make it a 3 for 1 event: Cornered Rat is back. You can thank Michelle for help in controlling my paranoia and for being very understanding.

If I start freaking out again, I may have to leave for a while. But I have been cheery lately, and hope to keep it that way.

Besides, I need to sight in my new Bushmaster HBAR and when I am at the range, I am not on this TFL, merely on an off-line firing line.

------------------
Cornered Rat
http://dd-b.net/RKBA RKBA posters
http://dd-b.net/olegv Portrait, nature photos

D-Dave,

Nix on the Sam Adams. Boston Beer Company told me that they will not take a stance on political issues.

Bit hypocritical, IMNSHO. Better make it something from Anheuser-Busch, or maybe Shiner Bock. :)

------------------
--Jeff Cooper

Coinneach, I knew you couldn't stay away long. Rat and I (and a lot of other posters) are scarce from time to time for all sorts of reasons, but we're still out there...

(ducking Miss D's tomatoes)

Ha! Ya missed! :P

dz, I'll let you know for sure in a couple of days.

------------------
--Jeff Cooper

Hey Coinneach, I can live without the Sam Adams - Shiner Bock sounds okay to me (don't think I've tried it). But I respect Boston Beer Co's decision not to take sides on political issues (especially since they're HQ'd in Mass.), it's better than many companies do (e.g. McDonald's). Business is business, politics is politics - at least I don't have to boycott them.

Then again, the label says Sam was Brewer, then a patriot - would he have screwed the country over for a good beer? ;) ;) ;)

Now, if Anhauser-Busch would just make a beer I liked, no problem! I like all I've heard about the company, just not the beer (although those Eagle snacks are tasty).

Just curious, what's Coors' stance (I don't drink their products much either - last one was from the brew-pub at Coors Field in '97)?

You haven't heard anything about Abita or Pete's political stance, have you? Now I'm scared! I don't know if I could handle doing without TurboDog!

Hey, I've noticed you were back, CR! You just didn't return in quite so dramatic a fashion...

Have a good weekend, all!

TEXAS LAWMAN,

:nospace) = :)

:nospace( = :(

;nospace) = ;)

Now will someone please tell me what is this Shriner beer? We have Old Style here :( I have heard that name before several times, but is it only down there?

Coinneach.....Sure hope I can shoot better! :)

Back