'Downgrading' an AR15 type rifle to bolt action?

Burrhead,there is more than one way to skin a cat. I'll give it to you turning a straight tube upside down might be a good idea. I never bothered to disable a gas system before.Don't figure I ever will.I like semi-auto. I did not think about it that much.

I suspect you haven't either. I'm thinking you put a tube in upside down and your gun didn't work.

Actually no, I’m just some dumb peckerwood who’s spent some decades living a long way from anywhere. The grocery store is 90 miles away, nearest stoplight 160. We now have a 8oo sq’ hardware store, internet, and Amazon but at one time it took a lot of ingenuity to make mechanical things do or stop doing something, keep well water corralled in pipes and not die in the desert with very limited resources. Sometimes one has to just sit back and ruminate.

Want to keep a gas operated machine from running? Stop the gas. How to do that without a lathe or tap you don’t have? Can you fix a flat tubed tire with a piece of wire? Start a fire with a battery? I donno, what’s the simplest, quickest way?

DamnifIknow, I’m just a hick.

Ah. Explains a lot.

While I do enjoy my solitude,working with people has required me to sometimes exercise impulse control when communicating with other people.

Actually,long ago,with an anvil and a forge,I made a chisel.With that chisel I made each tooth of a file .And with that file I made a drill.I do have skills at making do with not much.I have broken the bead on a tire with a 3 inc long piece of angle iron and a hammer. I busted tires for seven years.

For over 25 years I worked in R+D as a prototype machinist,model maker,moldmaker. My job was to create anything the engineer dreamed.

I CAN do things "stone knives and bearskins" I generally avoid doing that on guns.I have the resources available.Lathe,mill,bandsaw,surface grinder,etc,and I am accustomed to using them.

The OP said she was able to use a CNC mill.I was writing to her comment,not you. Your circumstances do suggest a different solution.

As I said,I don't have a problem with your idea.Or you could just use a vise grips to crush the gas tube,or bend a kink in it,beat it closed with a rock or buzz box some goose poop over the gas port then dust it off with the angle grinder.

I just think the rude,snotty,disrespectful tone of your post "People who can't screw in a lightbulb" was uncalled for.
And there are other perfectly good ways to block off the gas besides yours.

Last edited:
You have a point, I can be rude and short at times. Not directed at you but I do see a lot of questions or comments that seem as if the poster hasn't tried to think things through. I bite my tongue often and I should have this time too.

No offense meant and I apologize.

@44 AMP, thanks a lot for the reply. I don't need a military style rifle (or oldschool as i call it), but neither i'm a real fan of... ugh, the phrase 'assault rifle' is something i struggle to type. I think i'll go for a 3d printed/wooden thumbhole stock. In the so called meantime, where can i find .223 (5,56) magazines in non-standard capacities like 7 rounds or something?

Drae, what are your laws on magazine capacity? AR magazines usually come in 5, 10, 20, 30, & 30+ rounds. I've never seen any come in a odd number like 7, that doesn't mean they're not out there just that I haven't seen them.

California has some of the strictest restrictions on AR ownership in the United States, so you might want to Google search on AR compliant parts for there. I'm guessing you'll find a bunch of stuff you're looking for, I'm not sure any of them can be exported to Western Poland though. However, if you have access to 3D printing and CNC machines then you might be able to fabricate something similar to your liking.

Well, thankfully i'm nowhere near California. Importing stuff from US... you know how expensive would that be?
I'm not sure about if there are any restrictions for magazine capacity here... i mean a bigger magazine doesn't make your weapon more deadly, so why there would be? As for why 7 for the capacity, better question is why not? 5 is a small number, 10 starts getting 'long', and i don't want to put a huge mag in a weapon that's not even semi-auto. Where's the point?

If you are limited to say, 7 rounds by some law, rule or regulation, what is usually done is use a smaller mag (5rnd) and forget the rest, just reload more often! ;)

OR use a larger magazine and don't put more rounds in the gun than allowed.

HOWEVER, you need to know how the law is written and enforced. Most of the time, the law is written with a limit on how many rounds CAN be put in the magazine, not how many (fewer) that you do put in it.

Basically what this means is the magazine must be physically blocked from accepting more than the legal limit. Example, a 10, 20, 30 rnd mag would need the follower blocked from taking more than the 7 rnds that is the limit,

There are a couple ways to do this, and again you need to see what satisfies your local law. The law may just say "limted to 7 rnds) or something like that, or it may say something like "permanently blocked" and, you need to know if "permanent" in the language of the law means "cannot be undone, ever" or if means "cannot be changed without disassembly and tool use" or something like that.

Good Luck

...i still don't get some dumb gun laws. But hey maybe i'll never understand them. Anyway, i'd like seven rounds because that's enough capacity for me, i think it's okay? No need for more.
Also you think taking a ten mag, then cutting it at a specific spot and putting a metal plate down there would do the trick? I remember when one day one had to do this with nerf magazines to get odd capacities, but this is real steel and i think there's more stress put on the follower and such. The AK 90 round ultra-mags fall apart when firing, there's videos of that.

Follow your bliss! I respect your ideas. I just want to suggest another rifle to look at.If you want a .223, CZ makes some delightful,quality,accurate small action conventional turnbolt rifles.10 shots. You can have walnut and blue steel.
Its not a straight pull,but they may be something you can acquire and start shooting.

@10-96 This, kind sire, is wonderfulawesometastic. Buuuut *argh american pricing*. 836 zlotys, that's a little under third of my monthly pay. That's why i prefer to modify cheap stuff instead of buying new and cool.
@HiBC i think you're the most posting person i've seen here. The CZ rifles are awesome, buuut... i want my straight pull >-<

I think i'll go for a dang homemade if i'll have to (see my other topic).

"...import firearm components from the U.S..." It's the exporting part that's the trouble. AR parts are restricted for export by ITAR.
"...manually operated as a straight pull action, look at the..." FAL.
I'd be thinking that Italian SPAR would be a whole lot less fuss.

Are Blaser rifles available in Poland? Their R8 is a modern straight pull action, it also allows you to change barrels and cartridges fairly easy. However, it's a very expensive rifle to own.

Back