DOUBLE TAP DEFENSE derringer range reports?

Raymond Kohout weighs in!

Raymond Kouhout himself responded to my question in only one day.
Here are his answer to my questions:
Q: What percentage of Double Tap derringers are returned for repair?
A: less than 1/2 or 1% of 14,000 guns have been returned for warranty
Q: What are the main problems that have required repairs for Double Tap Derringers?
A: cosmetic issues with fit and finish
Q: What has Double Tap Defense has done to address these issues?
A: We are constantly testing, and improving
Q: What can Double Tap derringer owners can do to reduce the possibility of malfunction?
A: Use only new US amnufactured standard ammunition such as Remington, Wionchester, Hornady or Federal, no high welocity or +P or +P+ or foreign manufactured ammunition

THANK YOU, Mr. Kohout!

Guns.com has a review of the DoubleTap on their website. The only function problems he had were light primer strikes only on one brand of ammo. He also talks about the pain of shooting it and the lack of accuracy which he attributes to the fear of the pain to come.

Everything you may have read about the brutal recoil from the DoubleTap is true. It hurts. I put 50 rounds of .45 ACP through this gun and I’m in pain. The web of muscle between my thumb and pointer finger on my right hand is sore. The metacarpal in my thumb feels bruised. I’m not going to try to sugar coat it. The pain is sharp and intense. If you’ve shot a .44 magnum (especially one with wooden grips) you understand recoil. The DoubleTap is more painful.

The biggest impediment to accuracy, in my opinion, isn’t the barrel or the trigger. It is fear. Shooting the DoubleTap isn’t pleasant. I think I’ve hammered that home enough. I spend a lot of time behind the trigger, but the anticipation of the stabbing pain can still psyche me out. After six shots, my hand was fatigued. But the sloppy shot placement was all me — a direct result of my knowledge of what was to come.

To sum up:

But I’m a sucker for punishment. And I’m going to learn how to shoot this thing. My overall assessment of it at this very early stage is entirely positive. It has some peculiarities and is going to take some getting used to, but I’m going to stick with it. I’ve yet to see another large caliber handgun that is as easily concealed. That, above all else, is the promise of the DoubleTap, and makes it worth working with.

Sorry to disagree with them COMPLETELY, but with all the pistol choices out there the DT just ain't worth the effort, bother, or pain.

I don't see them being around for long. We had had the 9mm and the 45 in the case for awhile now and people ask to look at it just to mock it. I was interested in this thread because I never really heard any feedback on them. I don't mind Derringers I think some of the older styled ones are neat, but the DT is almost the size of my XDS.

All points about pain are well taken...
That said, a gun like this isn't a plinker, and not a "range pal" or a "fun gun".
It's designed as a very final resort, a last ditch effort to save your life (god forbid).
With that in mind, the idea is NOT to have to shoot it..
Now... If we could hang our hats on its dependability for that one situation that we all hope and pray to God we are never in, I feel it would be a great gun...
But as far as I am concerned, as for it's dependability, the jury is still out and I'd appreciate any more feedback.
Thanks, all!!!

I have a double tap 45 and I haven't shot it much because it kicks like a mule and hurts like hell but the other day I was shooting and the bottom firing pin wouldn't hit the primer hard enough I would take it out and put it on top and it would fire why is this happening:mad:

Back