Double-Action Dilemma

Practice.

Anybody who thinks the DA/SA transition can't be worked has not seen the FAA sky cops shoot their Q w SIGs.

Walt Rauch wrote in the Glock Annual there was only a 4 point difference in the Q scores for the last three FBI classes w SIG 9s and the first three w the Glock 40s.

BrokenArrow:

Never said it couldn't be done. From what I understand, John Farnum often uses an DA/SA S&W and can shoot rings around most people (including me, I suspect).

All I said (or meant to say :() is that the DA/SA transition takes training and practice. I personally think it takes less training time and practice to get proficient with a gun that has a consistent trigger pull (e.g., SA, or DAO, or striker-fired).

If you're willing to put in the training and practice time to master DA/SA, fine. But if you go to the range, load up a full mag, charge the chamber, and fire away from SA, don't think your first shot two shots are going to be fast and accurate...

M1911

What about a revolver?

Der Grosse,

Just a thought: How about a high-quality, USED S&W revolver in a caliber, size/length, and frame size of your preference? You will find:
> Excellent trigger pull, both SA and DA
> Accuracy, reliability, durability and superior money-value
> Plus good concealable and a great variety of ammunition options

It's really simple to master a DA/SA pistol. Practice shooting in DA only. Don't practice with SA. After you get good at shooting DA, pull the trigger the same way in SA. You'll be amazed.

Scooter - Having been there, I don't think problem is one of necessarily mastering the DA pull and the SA pull but of mastering transition. Having shot primarily DA revolvers (always DA) and 1911s, I could handle the DA pull of a pistol (usually my first shot was more accurate than my second) and the SA pull, but the switching from one to the other gave me fits. I, too, had trouble with Sigs (particularly the 239--the 228 was better). For me, the Beretta 92/96 and the third generation S&Ws (particularly the 3913) with their short SA resets are far easier to shoot all shots well.

In fact, if Der Grosse were looking for a carry gun, I would recommend he try the 3913.

RWK: Thanks for the revolver recommendation, but I would like to stick to just one ammo type for now (9mm). My reasoning is that I would hate to have to worry about making sure that I have two different ammo types at all the different locations I frequent (home, vacation home, office, etc.) Not that I am paranoid, but I also believe that in an end-of-civilization-as-we know-it type scenario, it would be better to have all your guns using the same ammo type. Otherwise, if one of your guns broke/was lost, etc., you would have your usable ammo supply slashed in half. Although, I guess if you had two guns using different ammo types you would thereby increase your chances of finding new ammo supplies in an apocolyptic scenario (maybe this is a topic for a different thread). However, I defintitely do wish to buy a revolver one day after I have become more proficient with my semi's.

Juliet: Not really interested in another carry gun. My H&K P7M8 is ideal for me since the squeeze-cocker virtually eliminates the possiblity that I will accidentally discharge a round while holstering.

Scooter2: I will take your advice about practicing extensively with only double action trigger pulls when I get my Beretta. It seems to make sense.

Back