Double Action .22

Here is another under-$300 revolver to consider.

241_600.jpg

Alfa Proj revolvers imported by Czech Point.

I have never had one in my hands,,,
But one gentleman over at rimfire central likes his.

Again,,,
Just another option to look at.

Aarond

Last edited:
44 AMP said:
Current S&W DA .22 are ok, but I personally dislike the aluminum cylinders. No real reason, just the way they look, and wear.
44, I think it's worth explaining that only the current-production M43C and M317 and the discontinued M43 and (IIRC) a few M617's sold in the mid 1990s have aluminum cylinders.

The current M63 and M617 and most other discontinued S&W .22LR models (M17, M18, M34, M35, etc.) have steel cylinders.

I'm certain you know this, it's just that your post as written implies that all current S&W .22's have aluminum cylinders, which is incorrect. :)

As a footnote, I agree with you about the wear characteristics of the aluminum. :( I've seen a couple of beater M317's, and for some reason the cylinder finish seems to wear off more rapidly than the frame finish. I'd also recommend against the M43C and M317 to anyone except an expert shooter, because the combination of an unusually stiff DA trigger and featherlike weight makes them exceedingly difficult to shoot well in DA.

Thanks for the heads up Chris, I didn't mean to imply that all S&Ws have the aluminum cylinders, indeed, I don't know which ones do, or don't.

I do recall prowling the gun shows for a few years, looking for a good DA 22, and while I saw some good kit guns, that just wasn't quite what I was looking for. And I also remember that EVERY ratty looking S&W I saw had the aluminum cylinder. TO be sure, the ones in good shape were in good shape, but when a little worn, the finish on the AL cylinders looked bad to me.

DA .22s come in two general flavors, and the higher end guns are a true niche market. They cost a bunch, seemingly all out of proportion, until you realize that they cost as much to make and take as many manhours as the bigbore versions, and they sell a lot fewer of them.

We are spoiled by the inexpensive .22 rifles, fooled into thinking .22 revolvers ought to be. But DA's like the S&W are the equivalent of high end CF rifles, and so cost accordingly.

the market really needs a reasonably priced, reliable d.a. 22lr kit gun. the expensive s&w 317's alloy cylinder sticks after 100 rounds at the range. cheaper charter arms are not easy to find. the d.a. trigger pull of the taurus is truly awful, making it effectively a s.a. piece. ruger would clean up with a 3" lcr-x in 22lr.

I am a fan of the Ruger SP101 in 22lr. It is a reasonably priced da revolver in stainless steel. The action can be stiff, but will smooth out over time. Wolff sells spring kits for them if it's necessary. Dry firing it helps a lot.

My favorites are the S&W Model 17's and 18's (6-shooters). I do like the 4" 617, but have not purchased one. In the past, I was and am a big of the Colt Diamondback in 22LR, but the value has become such that I hesitate shoot one when I have the Smiths. Probably should sell a few of them as they are just gathering dust.

The Ruger LCR is a fun little revolver. I think it would be a great revolver in a 3" barrel and exposed hammer.

The S&W Model 63 is a very good 3" revolver and I would choose it over the light weight Smiths. In the past, there were 4 and 5" versions sold and they are around. Fine little revolver with a bit stiffer trigger than the M17's, but still very good in my book.

I am a revolver guy. I have a bunch of them, including 22's, and have been shooting them regularly for 35 years.

The Ruger Single Six is easily my favorite 22 revolver, and I have shot darn near every make, including some long ago out of business.

They are not double-action, but they are accurate, durable, and a pleasure to shoot.

Sorry for going off topic.

Back