Don't try This at Home

When I was a young cop we had a shooting where the BG was fleeing in a motor home. If I recall correctly it absorbed 200 some hits from 158 grn 357 magnum and 00 buck before running out of gas.

How far off did it change the point of aim?

Depends on the distance to the target from the glass and how steep the angle on the glass.

When shooting into the vehicle its seemed pretty negligible as the target is usually very near the glass pane.

When shooting outwards, the point of aim had better be around the knees for a center mass hit at around 20 yards or so.

YMMV

I'm going to have to talk to the guys at our practical shooting club about trying that. I'm not sure about range regulations though since I doubt they want glass all over the range.

On a separate note, what about shooting the tire versus shooting the wheel? I heard bullets can actually bounce off of tires. I'm guessing it has a lot to do with the angle of the shot. Direct shots should penetrate, but angled shots have a chance of bouncing off. There have been a few cases where head shots did not penetrate the skull, but traveled under the scalp instead. I can't imagine that felt too good.

In my bullets and vehicles class I actually ended up with a massive bruise on my lower leg. It was from a ricochet off a tire. I didn't notice until that night. Bullets can indeed bounce off tires, and even those that penetrate cause a very slow leak due to the self sealing nature of rubber. From what I saw you'd have to go to a rifle round to really have an effect.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

You might try Barnes bullets , they tend to cut a clean hole at least in metal.
The newer spike strips use metal tubes so the tire air comes out of the tire.

in the old days many patrol cars had hinged windshields ! Bring them back !:rolleyes:

I have seen a 223 go right through both sides of a tire. I've seen a 45 ACP bounce off a tire (hit perpendicular to the tread face) and bounce back giving a person a large bruise on his chest. Funny, you could clearly see it on the way back - not enough time to move though.

A guy I know was firing a black powder revolver, .45, I believe, and shot an oak stump. they were all bouncing off, thrown to the side, until he got one right square on a center point and it bounced right back into his chest. Slow, light, lowest possible sectional density is the one best way to make a bullet bounce right back at you. All you have to do is shoot at a material that it can't possibly penetrate or crush, and it needs to have a little spring to it.

You'll shoot your eye out, kid.

Wasn't it the Oklahoma State patrol who used his AR15 to fire through his windshield at a fleeing vehicle? Where is that vid.. it was awesome

The dude was driving at speed, firing his shouldered AR through the windshield and talking on the radio. I was impressed to say the least

Back