Don’t see much love for Ruger 1911s! Why?

There had to have been reasons for the various malfunctions. The gun is a machine, if it does not function correctly, there has to be a reason for it. If you were in fact an armorer, you should have been able to figure out the causes of the malfunctions and remedied them. In all, you do not seem to have had any more problems with your Ruger than I have had with several Colt 1911's over the years.

The barrel was not fitted to the frame properly.
The bushing was not fitted to the slide properly.
The extractor geometry was off.
The firing pin stop was improperly fitted.
The MIM parts were crudely fitted ( or not fitted)

That is all I can remember off the top of my head. Just because I do not get overly verbose does not need I am ignorant of the solution.

It was more work and money than I was willing to put into a mediocre low end production 1911. I paid the same for my Springfield RO and it runs like a well oiled machine. I have had RIA's more reliable and accurate at half the price.

I have a bunch of 1911's and a like amount of Ruger revolvers but no Ruger 1911's. There is just something about seeing RUGER on a 1911 slide, that just does not compute.not unlike seeing a Camaro badge on a BMW. :confused:

Addressing this single symptom only. Live round stovepipes are most often due to the slide coming forward faster than the magazine spring can push the next round up into solid contact with the feed lips in time for the slide to catch the rim. Instead the slide contacts the case ahead of the rim and pushes the cartidge out of the mag. As soon as the round is free of the mag the nose goes straight up and there's your stovepipe.

Assuming this happened with every mag and there's no shock buff in the pistol, the fix would be to put in a lighter recoil spring to slow the forward velocity of the slide. At the same time install a flat bottom firing pin stop to slow the rearward velocity of the slide to offset the lower recoil spring weight. You could also put in a heavier than standard (23lb) mainspring (hammer spring) to further slow the rearward slide velocity.

Here's a video on the effect of different weight recoil springs on slide velocity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUecHstU4QQ

If this only happened with a single mag, the fix would be a stronger mag spring.

Personally, my less than 5" 1911s all have flat bottom firing pin stops, 23lb mainsprings, 16lb recoil springs, and I run Checkmate 8rnd extended tube or 7rnd flush fit hybrid feedlip mags with Tripp mag springs.

It was just one mag, one time malfunction. As I mentioned above, it was more work and more money than I was willing to put into the Ruger to fix it. Sent it in, Ruger played with it and i sold it.

Had one. My son now has it. It is a good 1911. Comparing it to several other 1911s I've had or have, I found nothing particularly noteworthy about it in terms of value, quality, reliability, or accuracy.

I think if we take claydoctor's point and BBarns assessment we will run into why there is not more excitement about them.

There is just something about seeing RUGER on a 1911 slide, that just does not compute.not unlike seeing a Camaro badge on a BMW.

I found nothing particularly noteworthy about it in terms of value, quality, reliability, or accuracy.

Don’t see much love for Ruger 1911s! Why?
Mine have ran fine!

I have not seen any mounds of disparagement. It's also the case that there are a lot of 1911 pattern guns out there made by a variety of makers. More than at any time in the past in fact. So they may be getting good word of mouth and reviews but the roar of the crowd makes it harder to hear.

Which sub premium (Wilson, etc) 1911 do you see a lot of love for?

Pretty much all of them with a few exceptions.

tipoc

My SR1911 is six years old.
The barrel had heat checks in the crown,I know it is cosmetic but it should not have passed inspection.The throat was ground off center to the point rounds snagged and the case mouth would tear back.It has noticeable vertical play.Slide to frame is acceptable at best.
The recoil spring was much too stiff and rust spots appeared within weeks.
The front sight did not fly off though and the pistol now works fine.

We have five of them, two in 10mm, one full size 45, CMD lightweight 45, CMD 9mm
They all work reliably.
The Ruger full size 45 feeds a 185 LSWCHP that my Baer Special Forces refuses to.
My main complaint was mushy (too easy to disengage) thumb safetys but that is (was) easily corrected with a new unkinked plunger tube spring.
I know the spring might be (is) kinked intentionally, but I prefer a positive disengagement.

When they first came out I remember some positive reviews. But like a lot of the industry without new products you don't generally see repeated press, especially in a crowded market like 1911s.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Back