Don't know what to buy next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

herdman

I have never been a big handgun. I have always had rifles and shotguns primarily. Last year spent the money on a rifle. Now need to start spending money on handguns and build up that collection a little.

I do have a couple of handguns:

Heritage 22/22 wmr revolver(It works for the use intended, single action).

Ruger P89 9mm. Have had it since 1992 and it looks nearly new and it works great. They no longer make the P series anymore.

I have thought about starting with the 22lr and working my way up. Maybe getting a semi auto 22lr pistol. Then, maybe a 357 revolver. And, then maybe another 9mm of some sort since the P89 is out of production. But, it will probably last a lifetime or two.

There are so many great options out there. I can't make up my mind.

Since you already have a .22 handgun and a 9mm handgun, you might just want to spend your money on ammo.
The prices don't seem to be coming down anytime soon.

Picking a handgun is kinda like picking a wife, it's something you need to do for yourself. That being said, it is hard to go wrong with a quality Smith and Wesson revolver, chambered in .357 Magnum.

I'm for the previous suggestions of ammo and the 1911...and then maybe a small pocket backup .380...And then maybe a ? And then maybe a ? And then... Well, you know the rest. Have fun! :)

I suggest....

One pistol I keep coming back to for its value, durability, ease of use, overall reputation, and has lots of parts/gear/accessories is the Glock 23 .40S&W.
It's easy to find replacement or after market barrels to convert it(.22LR, 9x19mm, .357sig).
You can carry it nearly anywhere, open or concealed.
They run $500.00 to 600.00 depending on the sights, type(gen 03 or 04), color(black, OD, FDE, etc).
Glock 23s are easy to modify & spare parts are no problem.
Glocks are also widely known for holding up to rough use & bad weather.

A few old codgers will be coming on here saying you'll be closer to handgun heaven if you get a .22 auto and run 100,000 rds. through it but I'm an old codger too and .22 autos bore me to tears... just sayin'.

So I'll keep it real simple and say... anything BUT a .22 auto.

Thank providence that everyone's different. However, I am with those who feel that every firearms enthusiast oughta have at least one .38/357. So I'm counseling you to skip Door #1 and go directly to Door #2 (especially since you already have a boring .22 shooter).

I am with those who feel that every firearms enthusiast oughta have at least one .38/357. So I'm counseling you to skip Door #1 and go directly to Door #2

What he said.

A nice S&W 686 or Ruger GP100. Not to big, not to small and it gets you into two new calibers (.357 mag, and since .357 can shoot .38 special as well, it's win-win).

Pretty sure Cheaper Than Dirt has police trade in Smith & Wesson Model 10s for sale. Those would make a nice range banger for the money if that's all you're looking for. If you don't own a Glock, any of their models will make a fine addition to your collection. And if you are bent on a .22, The SR22 and P22 pistols are great guns.

A revolver (like a 4" S&W 686 no lock, 4" .38 S&W K frame, or 3"-4" Ruger GP100) would be nice to add to your collection but If I were in your shoes, I would get a 1911 (.45 or 9mm - your choice, I like 9mm).
==========
I have several revolvers and many semi's in 9mm and .22. My favorite to shoot is a 1911.
==========
Also, unless it is for CC or duty, I would opt for adjustable sights; It is nice to have POA=POI.
==========
Enjoy shopping.

Thanks for the input. Sounds like a 357 revolver gets a lot of votes. So, does the 1911. Is a 1911 in 9mm blasphemy?:)

To some of the hardcore, 9mm 1911 is blasphemy.
I shoot my Kimber Target Custom II 9mm and my GFs STI Trojan 9mm more than my Kimber Custom II 45. Less recoil makes it more fun for me (less ammo cost, too).
My usual reply to friends who say 1911 9mm is wimpy is that .45 is too manly for me.:D

Smith Model 27-2, pick your barrel length from 3.5" to 8 3/8" finest .357 revolver ever made IMHO and the best looking. Sorry Python fans

3.5"

Long tube 8 3/8"

A good .38 is a great first gun

Nothing wrong with the .357, but the .38 is easy to master.
The smith model 10 series has been around forever and ought to be quite obtainable everywhere.

i agree as well...a .45 1911 or a 357 (also shoot's 38). Ruger makes really nice revolvers and priced less than S&W...although I have both.

sig sauer is having a deal now where if you buy one of their selection of 6 .45 1911 you get a .22 1911 for free (at a participating dealer)

W/two that are on the lower end of the spectrum, it's high time you got something "nice".

While a 9mm 1911 is available,,,,,,,there's a 9mm 1911 and there's a proper 9mm single action that's called the Browning High Power ;).

There are so many great options out there. I can't make up my mind.

It's easier to give advice when one has a intended use for a handgun as to "just adding to my collection".

Range gun for fun, bedside gun for protection, little CWC piece or a big boomer magnum for hunting? Or will it just be a collector gun? Big difference between choosing a shooter and choosing something that is worth keepin' NIB.

Then comes the question do you reload or will you reload? Will you want to increase your collection by caliber, platform or just randomly to cover all the bases.

If you do not really have an intended usage and just "want" a handgun, you may a well just throw darts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back